Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Stripping paint from wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Stripping paint from wheels

I recently picked up some oem GTI wheels for my daily driver 2015 TDI Jetta. The original owner started stripping the wheels via unknown processes, but it was not nearly complete when I picked them up. I know I can just take them to get media blasted, but I figured I would try my hand at stripping them myself and getting them painted a nice satin black. Things haven't gone so well......

For starters, here is one of the wheels (and it is a pretty good representation of what the others look like as well):

There is the original factory paint on them, plus some other paint that has a rough sort of texture that is on top. I had some aircraft stripper like this:

both in the can and in the aerosol version and neither one made a dent in the paint on this wheel. Nothing wrinkled up and came off, even after letting it sit for 15 to 20 minutes at a time. The can that I had was almost two years old, so I figured I would run to the store and get a fresh can of Jasco's premium paint and epoxy remover. That stuff had always worked like a charm on other projects I've used it on in the past. Yet even this stuff did not make a dent in the paint either. I'm at a loss, I'm not really sure what to try next. Is my only other option at this point to take them and have them media blasted? Or is there something else y'all can recommend? Thanks!
Old 08-10-2015, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripping paint from wheels

Easy off oven cleaner works for anodized stuffs. Just be careful as it will etch aluminum. Other wise it could be powder coat, and would require either heat to remove or media blasting. You'll find once the paint is removed the cast finish is quite unattractive and harder to paint over, I'd suggest just sanding them more labor intensive, but a smooth finish after sanding will result in a better paint job.

Quick Reply: Stripping paint from wheels