Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Wanting to paint my 99 hugger ss hood and spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wanting to paint my 99 hugger ss hood and spoiler

My hoss has got hit
With some rock chips over the years on the hood and I want to paint it. While I'm at it I'm going to have the rear spoiler sprayed too. As all of you probably know Slp paints the hood and spoiler at there facility and it's not the best color match. My question is ;
has someone gone down this road with a hugger orange that may have a formula for achieving the closest color match to the rest of the car.? What primer
And color primer ?what brand base coat? what clear ?how many coats??? Etc...? This car is unmolested with original paint and I really need to make sure I can get the paint to match because I don't want to do any blending. Thank
you. This is so stressful because I never can trust Autobody shops! They always have disappointed me. If any read this and they live in dutchess county Hudson valley area and could refer me to a top notch painter I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 05-27-2016, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most quality shops can get really close to color match and texture without blending. They can do spray out cards and use a sun gun before actually shooting the hood/spoiler.

If the original base color is solid and not peeling, then you don't need to primer.
If you are taking this to a shop, then you don't really need to worry with details as they know what they are doing. Be sure they offer a warranty.

Ask around for opinions on certain shops. Don't be afraid to ask questions. i.e., what brand of paint, will you use primer/epoxy primer, can you paint these panels without blending.

Blending isn't such a bad thing as it will hide/blend the paint colors so the human eye can't tell where one starts and the other ends. Blending is just a visual illusion.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info
Old 07-05-2016, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to different shops and get estimates and tell them your concern for color, have them look at the color before hand and ask if you can see too. Maybe even write down the paint manufacturer and the variant the shop uses. Either way I always believe in blending color, you can always go back and blend the fenders later if it bothers you but it'll cost more in the end that way.

Quick Reply: Wanting to paint my 99 hugger ss hood and spoiler