Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Carbon creations zr hood issues c5zo6

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carbon creations zr hood issues c5zo6

Just looking for some opinions or advice on what would have caused the crack in the hood . To my knowledge nothing hit the hood as there are no evidence of any impact .
Attached Thumbnails Carbon creations zr hood issues c5zo6-image.jpeg  

Last edited by camsom; 08-27-2016 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-01-2016, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For 1 thing, it looks like the clear protective coating is flaking from sun exposure, which is always an issue with carbon fiber products.
From most of what I can see from pictures some of the cracks look pretty straight, which to me looks like a poor layup from the manufacturer in their material, as in trying to save material rather than a full sheet.
Is the underneath fiberglass with carbon fiber layed over it or all carbon fiber?

Now,as far as what can be done with hood, it can be removed & the weak areas from the underside sanded & overlayed with either fiberglass mat or carbon fiber material & epoxy resin to add back strength & structure.
Afterwards on the upper decorative side at the cracks it would need to be sanded down deeply without sanding too much into the cf material. the rest would need to be sanded enough to get a new fold coat of epoxy to stick to it.Clear surfboard resin may be another option. May not be able to make it look perfect again without painting.
Of course none of this is amateur type work .

Quick Reply: Carbon creations zr hood issues c5zo6