Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Is there a good aftermarket SS hood?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 02:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Is there a good aftermarket SS hood?

Long story short:

My car is a factory SS. I got into an accident roughly 10 years ago and had the body shop install a VFN Sunoco hood instead of the factory hood (perhaps a mistake). I'd like to go back to the original hood. There's a lot of information here on aftermarket hoods being made poorly or fitting poorly, however it's all quite old. Has a manufacturer come out with something better in the past year or two?

I've already created a listing in the wanted section for an OEM hood I know this is the best route, but the ones I'm seeing on ebay are pretty beat up and going for top dollar.

Any guidance/help is appreciated.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump for you. I am in the same boat as my stock hood has hail damage. Looking for a good aftermarket SS hood!
Old 02-15-2017, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cammed95Z28
Bump for you. I am in the same boat as my stock hood has hail damage. Looking for a good aftermarket SS hood!
Originally Posted by doomss
Long story short:

My car is a factory SS. I got into an accident roughly 10 years ago and had the body shop install a VFN Sunoco hood instead of the factory hood (perhaps a mistake). I'd like to go back to the original hood. There's a lot of information here on aftermarket hoods being made poorly or fitting poorly, however it's all quite old. Has a manufacturer come out with something better in the past year or two?

I've already created a listing in the wanted section for an OEM hood I know this is the best route, but the ones I'm seeing on ebay are pretty beat up and going for top dollar.

Any guidance/help is appreciated.
i purchased a TruFiber brand 3 years ago. The fit and finish we're very good. The hood and shipping were not a budget (cheap) purchase, but as you both have said, everything used was unacceptable at the time. They are made in Southern California
Old 02-22-2017, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cali_bear2003
i purchased a TruFiber brand 3 years ago. The fit and finish we're very good. The hood and shipping were not a budget (cheap) purchase, but as you both have said, everything used was unacceptable at the time. They are made in Southern California
Thanks for the recommendation. I actually did a bit of further research after this post and was leaning towards a TruFiber! Looks like I can order one from a sponsor (WS6store). I need to hurry up and finish my current project so I can move on to this one! Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

American Sports car is a good one
Old 07-27-2017, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I liked about the trufiber is that the whole insert scoop is slightly taller than an OEM one. At least mine was when I had one. I compared it with my friends Camaro SS LE and mine was slightly higher. The fitment on trufiber is identical to OEM. I currently have a Ultra Z hood now and I love it but I might consider going to a Sunoco Hood in a few months from now. I would go with Trufiber. If budget is an issue, waited it out. Youll be lucky enough to find a good OEM hood for less.

Quick Reply: Is there a good aftermarket SS hood?