Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Door Won't Line Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Won't Line Up

I took my driver's side door off to re-seal the exterior skin. When I put it back on, it has gross amounts of sag. The door sits a good half inch too low to close, as it impacts the little latch rod on the car. If I lift up on the door it will raise and close, but this never happened prior to removing the door. To re-install the door all I did was tighten up the two top and then the two bottom bolts that connect the door to the hinge. I tightened them pretty tightly, but nothing too crazy. What's the deal?
Old 03-05-2017, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

The door needs to be aligned properly. Loosen the bolts on the body side of the hinge lift the door a little over where it needs to be and tighten the bolts. Test the alignment and repeat.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Default Door alignment

I second the above response. I would also strongly consider removing the fender as it makes access to the bolt so much easier. Not to mention, fine adjustments are much quicker to make.

I used a paint stir stick as my gap. Simply slide it under the door on the latch end(opposite the hinge).

I like to make my bolts just loose enough the door moves with my hands, but not to the point of falling under its own weight.

Also the door adjusts in and out, forward and aft. Don't forget to compensate for the fender going back on.

I would leave the door striker as a last adjustment, as they typically don't move that much if at all.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Alright, cool, great responses and I appreciate the info. One more question: I have to adjust the body side bolts as well as the door side bolts, even though I didn't initially touch them at all? The only bolts I touched were the door side ones, the hinges stayed on the body.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

You may have to. Only adjust the ones you touched first. If things line up right, leave it alone. If it still isn't lining up or hitting rocker or fender, adjust some more. Remember, the more you move the door opposite the hinge, the greater the effect. It's a delicate balance of perfect and f'ed up. Be patient!

I also put two layers of masking tape to protect all edges, even the ones not being touched. A helper is strongly encouraged for this project. Also keep in mind, the ABS(fender) and SMC(doors) are no way perfect. Get the alignment close and step back, observe, see how you like it. Rinse and repeat

Quick Reply: Door Won't Line Up