Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Any one tried this... Bubbling roof idea.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm no painter..... but isn't there some kind of sealer/primer that could be used before re-painting??
Old 03-31-2017, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
I'm no painter..... but isn't there some kind of sealer/primer that could be used before re-painting??
No, there is not.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Docrocket1967
It is painted black but shows no issues thank god. Of course it has been a garage queen with hardly any miles from the previous owner.
This one would/will also develop the same problem if you ever start exposing it to a bunch of heat/sunlight on a regular basis. Being a garage queen has spared it so far, but it's a ticking time bomb if you start exposing it to intense sunlight on a regular basis. All of the '99+ (and very late '98) cars are included in this.

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
An epoxy primer needs to be applied under the panel to prevent the glue from ever penetrating and saturating the panel in the first place, similar to the older model 4th gens (mid-'98 and prior.) You need a barrier between the glue and the panel itself, that is the only way to prevent the bubbles from returning and it's the proper process as outlined in the GM TSB. To do this properly, you need to start with a new panel (NOS or reproduction only, as GM is no longer producing them), or a used one from a donor car built prior to this condition (meaning before 05/98.)

I'm going to lock this one now because there is no new information on this, and everything here has already been covered in the sticky at the top of this section.

Quick Reply: Any one tried this... Bubbling roof idea.