Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

NBM not matching?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default NBM not matching?

So I know that paint can fade a little over time, but the car is a 2000, and was generally garage kept. And the clear is in pretty good shape, so I'd have to believe the color is pretty true still.

I'm in the process of painting the engine bay, still have some filling/smoothing to do there, but with no clear, the BC looks extremely dark when compared to the fender. Kind of like the metallic isn't being allowed to show through, but even then it seems too dark. How much of a difference will CC make? I want to make sure the base is right before laying the CC down. Just want some opinions.

When light is not directly on the panel, it "sort of" looks like it could match... but not under the light. Maybe metallic paints are hard to judge?

Thanks

Old 04-13-2017, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There probably a couple different variants in color. It does look a tad dark but clear will put a shine and it may bring it closer.
Looking at your pictures they're at different viewing angles the first picture looks more blue and then your second picture looks like the color is black. It's hard to say looking at pictures but I'd shoot the clear.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Clear with the metal flake makes it appear a few shades lighter just because it is more reflective than the dull paint

FYI through engine bay was never clear coated and has always looked a darker color on nearly every darker colored fbody or car with a metallic in the clear
Old 04-19-2017, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
FYI through engine bay was never clear coated and has always looked a darker color on nearly every darker colored fbody or car with a metallic in the clear
Is this the reason underhood looks flat or matte finish....just no glossy CC?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Clear with the metal flake makes it appear a few shades lighter just because it is more reflective than the dull paint

The red in my engine bay is a tad darker also, it's never been repainted either.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95wannabe
Is this the reason underhood looks flat or matte finish....just no glossy CC?
Correct. You can get fancy with tire shine and make it look glossy though lol

I know it's not correct, but I wouldn't be suprised if the nbm color was a semi gloss base coat, covered with a metallic clear

It would explain why I've seen this problem happen on fbodys with metallic clear coat finishes

Last edited by chrysler kid; 04-21-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I've seen a couple posts about metallic clear coated fbodys lately. I think what you mean to say is a tri coat, and no fbody ever came in a tri coat. Period. They are all bc/cc.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

^pic above looks like what going on with my rear corner panel -_____-

Quick Reply: NBM not matching?