Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Clear coat peeled off..

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Clear coat peeled off..

So a while back I had a vinyl wrap applied to the upper half of my Z by a local shop. Before I pulled the motor, I decided I wanted to go back to gloss and had them pull it. When they did, the clear coat peeled up with the vinyl in a couple of spots (namely, the trunk lid and pass quarter panel). I've been fighting with them for the past few months about fixing it, and have been delivered a final "no" about getting it fixed through them. (Trust me, I pursued every option available to me).

So my question is... what can I do to fix it? I don't have a paint booth or paint gear, and I can't really afford what a body shop would charge to fix it. I've done the plastidip route in the past and I'm kind of tired of matte/satin paint now.

Here's a pic of the passenger side, I'll see if I can get one of the trunk later.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you take legal action? Was this the same shop that installed it?

Anyway the only real fix is a repaint.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did. Supposedly there was some "waiver" I signed that that released them from any liability if any damage occurred due to the vinyl installation.

I found a place near me that rents out a paint booth. Once i get the motor finished I'll get the paint/tools I need and strip and prep the body for paint.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are careful enough, you can feather that clear back. You can temporarily use rattle cans to reclear it. Although it won't look 100% right.

The real way to fix that is to sand back until no more clear is lifting. If vinyl took it off, more than likely more is soon to follow. I would sand with the whole panel with 320,400,600 and respray color/clear.

Let it go for now, save up for a proper repair. Skip the cans if you really want it done right.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think what I'm going to do is buy a can of 2k clear from Eastwood. Feather the clear back and respray it, wetsand, buff, polish. It won't look 100%, but it'll look way better than having this nasty gash on the paint. This way I can finish up the motor and enjoy driving the car while I save up to get new paint
Old 05-02-2017, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

I doubt that it was the vinyl shops fault. THese cars are known to have had some clearcoat issues through the years. The paint on my door handle peeled completely off and I've seen headlight covers do the same.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
I doubt that it was the vinyl shops fault. THese cars are known to have had some clearcoat issues through the years. The paint on my door handle peeled completely off and I've seen headlight covers do the same.
Yep. The clear on my 94 Trans Am just starting lifting one day like sunburnt skin. It just peels right off. What a lot of folks forget is that the newest example of these cars is already fifteen years old. That's a lot of time out in the elements.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

just stick a "bandaid" on there and be done with it
Old 05-04-2017, 02:40 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

From looks of the paint was in pretty bad shape prior to having the vinyl installed.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

It wasn't perfect (a handful of chips/scratches) but didn't show any signs of failing like this. I'm over it though, at this point I just want it fixed.

Quick Reply: Clear coat peeled off..