Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Some surface rust

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some surface rust

I have some surface rust under my car. Someone suggested using POR 15. Anyone have any experience with this? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i had some surface rust on mine - nothing bad. I used the POR-15 system. i did mine 2 years ago, and it has not come back. Need to clean thoroughly and dry thoroughly.
i put mine on with foam brushes
Old 06-09-2017, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bleepster
i had some surface rust on mine - nothing bad. I used the POR-15 system. i did mine 2 years ago, and it has not come back. Need to clean thoroughly and dry thoroughly.
i put mine on with foam brushes
Thanks for info
Old 07-22-2017, 01:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

POR stuff is **** man, ive never had rust come back after 7 years
Old 08-19-2017, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been using POR15 on my '85 C10 and so far love the stuff. I have been using foam brushes too and after getting a quart size can, I have since been getting the pint size. It goes pretty far but dries quickly. I also drilled a hole in the can and put a bolt into. Easier to pour a little out of it instead of taking the lid off and trying to get it back on.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Been using POR15 for many years. Up here in the northeast Ohio rustbelt,it's difficult to keep things rust free. Get it on your skin/clothes,it's permanent,use lacquer thinner for skin immediately. Once cured/set on iron/steel,it's very tough and resistant. I mainly use it on rear ends. Doesn't work well on bare clean metal,needs to be treated with their 'etching' compound or wet the bare metal with water to create a natural orange patina. Interacting with a molecular rust surface is part of the curing process. A freshly opened can is very 'watery' and not thick like paint. Has excellent penetration.
Attached Thumbnails Some surface rust-dscn1615-c-s.jpg  
Old 09-07-2017, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Been using POR15 for many years. Up here in the northeast Ohio rustbelt,it's difficult to keep things rust free. Get it on your skin/clothes,it's permanent,use lacquer thinner for skin immediately. Once cured/set on iron/steel,it's very tough and resistant. I mainly use it on rear ends. Doesn't work well on bare clean metal,needs to be treated with their 'etching' compound or wet the bare metal with water to create a natural orange patina. Interacting with a molecular rust surface is part of the curing process. A freshly opened can is very 'watery' and not thick like paint. Has excellent penetration.
Awesome man thank you. I'm in NJ so I feel your pain on the rust

Quick Reply: Some surface rust