Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Engine Bay - First Timer

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Bay - First Timer

So while my engine is going to be out for a week I've planned to give my engine bay a quick spray. I'm using a clear over base by Protec with a Devilbiss FLG5 and 2.0mm tip and it's my first time. I'll just be scuffing the original acrylic paint and stripping back areas where brake fluid has hit.

My painting experience is only visual, I've done some repair work, lots of 'decent' rattle can type stuff but never painted with a gravity fed gun. Any tips? I'm thinking about filling some of the smaller screw holes up with JB Weld or skimming them with some metal fibre filler too. What do you guys think?

Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Before you paint

Practice painting with either craft (water) paints or some cheap enamel like Rustoleum in a can. Get the general feel for the gun and its settings. Typically 2k paint is thinner than rattle can, therefore it can run much easier.
I highly recommend watching "The Gunman" YouTube channel if you haven't already. That Aussie knows his stuff for sure.

I would steer away from JB Weld type. 80 grit the hole areas, the use traditional auto body filler with a hardener. You're best bet is have the hole welded shut, the filler over that.

Best of luck
-Aaron

Quick Reply: Engine Bay - First Timer