Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting red suspension parts black

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018 | 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would be interested in his opinion on a good precleaner as well. Maybe some products from cheap to expensive. Just for information sake. We went the super cheap laying around the house route . I used a degreaser like 409 or purple power. After that a quick wipe of acetone. I guess time will tell if it was a total rookie move lol.
Old 01-26-2018 | 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by black sky
I would be interested in his opinion on a good precleaner as well. Maybe some products from cheap to expensive. Just for information sake. We went the super cheap laying around the house route . I used a degreaser like 409 or purple power. After that a quick wipe of acetone. I guess time will tell if it was a total rookie move lol.
Yep you'll know if it starts flaking off in the near future lol. For me in this case I'm much more concerned about durability over looks. Of course I don't want it to look like I colored it in with a magic marker or something lol, but it's not a show car and no one will ever see it
Old 01-27-2018 | 08:01 PM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Thanks for the info! So you're saying use the 220/320 grit sandpaper along with a red scotch pad correct? Does it matter which one I use first? What type of pre-cleaner do you reccommend? I am a complete newbie when it comes to this stuff lol
I really doesn't matter just so everything is dull. I like to use the pad last or to get the hard to reach places. You can just use rubbing alcohol or acetone. Don't use primer unless there are some bare metal spots. Use the paint that I pointed out and the engine clear and it will last along time. I used too powder coat calipers and it was a pain in the ***, now I just paint them. Did a set on my T/A like seven years ago and they still look like new!
Old 01-27-2018 | 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
I really doesn't matter just so everything is dull. I like to use the pad last or to get the hard to reach places. You can just use rubbing alcohol or acetone. Don't use primer unless there are some bare metal spots. Use the paint that I pointed out and the engine clear and it will last along time. I used too powder coat calipers and it was a pain in the ***, now I just paint them. Did a set on my T/A like seven years ago and they still look like new!
Good deal. I appreciate the info. The car is just a weekend toy that never sees bad weather, and is always parked indoors. Sounds like it should hold up for a good long time
Old 01-27-2018 | 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Like it's already been said. Scuff it, clean it, paint it. Use 320 or 400 grit or a red scuff pad, clean with acetone/alcohol/lacquer thinner, and spray the thing. Nothing to it. Do a light first coat, let it sit for a few minutes, then hit it with some heavier coats until it's covered. Just don't go nuts and run it.
Old 01-27-2018 | 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Like it's already been said. Scuff it, clean it, paint it. Use 320 or 400 grit or a red scuff pad, clean with acetone/alcohol/lacquer thinner, and spray the thing. Nothing to it. Do a light first coat, let it sit for a few minutes, then hit it with some heavier coats until it's covered. Just don't go nuts and run it.
Yep sounds really simple, which was what I was hoping for. I never have done any kind of painting to speak of, so I just needed to know where to start

Quick Reply: Painting red suspension parts black