Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Frame rust

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Frame rust

As I was storing the car this year I went to jack it up and noticed the blocky area that is circled in the photo below is becoming soft when put on jackstands and you can see it compressing a little bit. The photos arent of my car, but the second photo where the subframe connectors are bolted in is where I am talking about, that area is caving upwards

I know this can’t be good- and the car is in beautiful shape minus that for the most part... is there a new piece I can buy and have a shop weld in? A cap of somesort? The car is a 2002 camaro - surely these things are old enough now that we can get pieces like this?

Old 05-02-2018, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smashed spot

That spot is bending because it is not actually a jacking point. The hole are for tie downs on a roll back. That plastic grate piece behind the front fender is for jacking the car up. The small jack pad is placing a lot of weight on a small spot that was not engineered for that kind of weight. Bending it back in place could be tricky, it needs to be pulled down. That area could be made into a strong spot with heavy gauge steel plate. Fabricate or just move your jack.

Side note: Keep the jack away from the fender mounting tab. It will crush the corner of the fender. GM placed the fender mount and jack pad very close requiring you to pay close attention.

On the back of the car, I just place the jack right under the lower control arm mount at the frame. Never a problem.

Best of luck!