Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Trick for Ram Air Decal Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 06:15 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Default Trick for Ram Air Decal Alignment?

Long story short - My wife had a bit of a fit the other summer, chucked a rock across the yard, and chipped my WS6 hood.

I just got around to eating the cost of that repair and re-paint but the body shop has had three successive fails on getting the Ram Air decals on correctly. The third time, I observed the process and helped them match up the curve of the transfer paper (kind-of; it doesn't match exactly) to the end of the hood, but the "Ram Air" comes out crooked every time.

Does anyone know a trick for lining up the decal/transfer tape correctly on the proper GM decals?

I've looked at a bunch of pictures of stock cars and it seems to me that ASC may have just eyeballed them at their facility. It doesn't look like there is any specific science to it or consistency to what was leaving ASC. (GM's Factory Service Manual shows placement for every emblem on the car, EXCEPT for this one!!!)
Old 05-09-2018, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I can't help with placement but painters tape helped.
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (06-25-2022)
Old 06-17-2021, 09:34 AM
Save the manuals!

For posterity, I think I figured this out. On the factory decal template, the far tip should contact the outer edge of the Ram Air trim and the top edge of the curve should contact the inner edge of the trim around the Ram Air ducts:

HOWEVER: This picture is not quite right. The decals were angled up towards the windshield, so this should have been placed lower than I have it in the picture. (I got mine correct by using tape, decals not having the factory template, and moving the placement off of this incorrect try.)

If anyone has the factory decals and are giving this a try, the template should be lower than is in the picture so the left side of the template ends up angling downward. (I assume this is intended so the paper just hits the edge where the Ram Air tubes start to curve to the flat part of the hood. - Hopefully that will put the decals on straight.)
Old 06-17-2021, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

send me some decals and I will see how they line up on my hood

my hood has all the clear coming off so a repaint may be needed
Old 06-25-2022, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
For posterity, I think I figured this out. On the factory decal template, the far tip should contact the outer edge of the Ram Air trim and the top edge of the curve should contact the inner edge of the trim around the Ram Air ducts:

HOWEVER: This picture is not quite right. The decals were angled up towards the windshield, so this should have been placed lower than I have it in the picture. (I got mine correct by using tape, decals not having the factory template, and moving the placement off of this incorrect try.)

If anyone has the factory decals and are giving this a try, the template should be lower than is in the picture so the left side of the template ends up angling downward. (I assume this is intended so the paper just hits the edge where the Ram Air tubes start to curve to the flat part of the hood. - Hopefully that will put the decals on straight.)

Any tips for measuring them and lining them up on a 97 ram air hood? Also who in the area did you trust with repairing yours as I need mine repaired and painted.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:14 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by nastyiroc
Any tips for measuring them and lining them up on a 97 ram air hood? Also who in the area did you trust with repairing yours as I need mine repaired and painted.
No idea on the 97. I would have to see what the decal transfer tape and hood look like. I'm not sure if this is something particular to the American Sunroof (ASC) cars.

I take all my cars to Gold Coast Autobody in downtown Chicago. Lots of cars over the years with varying levels of City damage and they have taken care of everything well. (Most importantly, they have been fine working on my classic car alongside the full garage of new Audi's and Mercedes.)

Quick Reply: Trick for Ram Air Decal Alignment?