Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Ws6 Badge??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ws6 Badge??

Hey guys I just had quick question about the badge on my 98 ws6.. the more I think about it I have the only chrome on black WS6 badge I’ve ever seen and it’s making me wonder if it’s been replaced before I got the car or if it’s a clone possibly. Just wanting some opinions. Thanks
Old 05-01-2019, 03:17 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

The only emblem color which was available in 1998 was red with a chrome outline. The black center version was issued only to Collector Edition Trans Ams (CETA) in 2002, so the black version is definitely not original to your car.

You can verify if the car is an original WS6 by checking the SPID sticker on the driver's door jamb. You should see the "WS6" RPO present on that sticker (and the VIN printed on the sticker should match the VIN on the dash). If the sticker does not contain that RPO, then it's not an original WS6 car. If the sticker is not present, is damaged or is somehow not the correct VIN, you can take your correct VIN to any GM dealer parts department and ask for a VIS report which shows the correct RPOs for that VIN.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:11 AM
Teching In

after some research I’m still not 100 percent convinced my badge is that of a (CETA) something still looks off about mine, maybe aftermarket. Also I’m not real sure why most of the badges say “ performance package “ and mine says “ trans am “ guess my only real option is having the vin ran like you said. Again, thank you.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:48 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 98_wssixer
after some research I’m still not 100 percent convinced my badge is that of a (CETA) something still looks off about mine, maybe aftermarket. Also I’m not real sure why most of the badges say “ performance package “ and mine says “ trans am “ guess my only real option is having the vin ran like you said. Again, thank you.
Definitely sounds like you have an aftermarket emblem then (or perhaps an overlay). The original ones, even for a CETA, say "performance package". If yours says something different, then it's not an original - however this doesn't necessarily mean that the car is a clone, you'd still have to run the VIN to verify the code if the SPID is not available/legible.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Here is a pic of that helps. So any GM dealer could run the vin for me ??
Old 05-01-2019, 01:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 98_wssixer
Here is a pic of that helps. So any GM dealer could run the vin for me ??
That is not a factory/original emblem.

Yes, any GM dealer parts department should be able to run a report which shows all RPOs for a given VIN of that era. You could also use sites such as Compnine for this purpose, but I think they charge a fee these days.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
That is not a factory/original emblem.

Yes, any GM dealer parts department should be able to run a report which shows all RPOs for a given VIN of that era. You could also use sites such as Compnine for this purpose, but I think they charge a fee these days.
i just used that website and the ws6 package code IS on there I’m in huge relief I did not want a replica.