Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Looking for new dash pad

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Looking for new dash pad

I'm looking for a dash pad for my 01 Camaro. It started to crack this past month and it looks like ****! Does anyone make an aftermarket one or do I need to find an old one? I have seen some posts on this but can't seem to find them. Any info would be great.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:25 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Supposedly GM is making them again. Just google it and you will find plenty on ebay. Just be prepared for the sticker shock.
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (01-01-2021)
Old 12-13-2020, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

firebirds too ????

I did find a place that rebuilds and recovers them....not cheap
Old 12-14-2020, 03:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,284 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
firebirds too ????
I think the OP was referring to the top panel, in which case I don't think there is any difference between Camaro and Firebird.

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Supposedly GM is making them again. Just google it and you will find plenty on ebay. Just be prepared for the sticker shock.
Interesting. Do you know if they have re-issued both colors (14I Dark Gray as well as 19I Ebony)? I wonder if the quality is the same as the assembly line originals. Over the last decade, GM has outsourced some other replacement parts for these cars to much lesser quality suppliers (but of course, with no reduction in price). A good example would be the Depo-produced replacement headlight modules that GM now sells for Camaro - they are no better quality than the other poor fitting Depo pieces available on the aftermarket, but they are 2-3 times the price when purchased from GM.
The following users liked this post:
RallyBoy (12-21-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I ordered two, both in the dark gray as they were for my sons 97 T/A and my friends 99 T/A. If you search for posts by me you’ll see part numbers and pictures.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

upper dash pads.....got it....bought one long ago when they were 300$
Old 12-20-2020, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I think the OP was referring to the top panel, in which case I don't think there is any difference between Camaro and Firebird.

Interesting. Do you know if they have re-issued both colors (14I Dark Gray as well as 19I Ebony)? I wonder if the quality is the same as the assembly line originals. Over the last decade, GM has outsourced some other replacement parts for these cars to much lesser quality suppliers (but of course, with no reduction in price). A good example would be the Depo-produced replacement headlight modules that GM now sells for Camaro - they are no better quality than the other poor fitting Depo pieces available on the aftermarket, but they are 2-3 times the price when purchased from GM.

Yup they're the same, took my pristine dash panel out of my non running Camaro and put it in my Firehawk to replace the panel that got cracked.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Dash Skins makes a nice aftermarket dash pad.I paid less then a $90 shipped!
Old 12-22-2020, 02:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Now this is interesting to me as I wasn't aware GM ever stopped making them. I don't have a need one for one, but every time I've looked over the years, I've always been able to find new GM dash pads offered for sale, at least in ebony. When was this development? Either of you have any idea if GM may start re-making any other discontinued parts? I expect nothing and even seeing them supposedly re-continuing any item period is strange, but one can always hold out hope.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,284 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by SnIpEz
Now this is interesting to me as I wasn't aware GM ever stopped making them. I don't have a need one for one, but every time I've looked over the years, I've always been able to find new GM dash pads offered for sale, at least in ebony. When was this development? Either of you have any idea if GM may start re-making any other discontinued parts? I expect nothing and even seeing them supposedly re-continuing any item period is strange, but one can always hold out hope.
I could have sworn that I've seen folks post about these no longer being available from GM at some point, though it may have been the 14I Dark Gray version that I'm remembering. Either way, the above comment about "making them again" seemed to confirm that, at some point, they weren't in production in one or both colors. But I could be mistaken, and perhaps I misunderstood the comment (maybe they were just on backorder for a period of time). The last time I ordered one was probably in 2005-06, and it would have been in Dark Gray. I still have the part number handy in my personal catalog - 10422746 - and it seems to be active and available as of today.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:13 PM
Pontiacerator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I also thought they were generally unavailable new anymore until a saw a post on here within the past year or so that they were once again available. I probably shouldn't have stated that "GM is making them again." My guess is that an outside vendor is supplying them for GM, enabling GM to have a handsome mark-up on the part.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Ah I gotcha. To be honest, I was hoping that maybe I was misunderstanding something and that GM had for sure discontinued them at some point just for the simple fact that it would somewhat indicate there was attention and interest in making some new parts for these older cars again. The thing that sucks for us is the aftermarket reproduction companies seem to focus heavily on all generations of F-bodies except for 4th gens. Hawks Motorsports has a few reproduction parts, which is nice, but definitely not extensive. It's insane to me that we're going into 2021 and still don't have new replacement seat foam for 4th gens. I actually just emailed OER the other day asking if there were any plans or consideration in making some in the near-term, awaiting their response, though I don't expect much. Hawks recently told me they plan to make a new reproduction automatic shifter upper console at some point, but for larger things like dash, door panels, and other interior panels, we're probably SOL. The cost of the injection molding tooling for parts that size is enormous, and it seems we're in the phase right now where the cheap people predominantly own these cars and would never pay the prices needed for a company to get their ROI. Everyone with the money needed moved on to 6th gens, C7s and the like. Real shame.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:55 PM
Pontiacerator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by SnIpEz
The thing that sucks for us is the aftermarket reproduction companies seem to focus heavily on all generations of F-bodies except for 4th gens. Hawks Motorsports has a few reproduction parts, which is nice, but definitely not extensive. It's insane to me that we're going into 2021 and still don't have new replacement seat foam for 4th gens. I actually just emailed OER the other day asking if there were any plans or consideration in making some in the near-term, awaiting their response, though I don't expect much. Hawks recently told me they plan to make a new reproduction automatic shifter upper console at some point, but for larger things like dash, door panels, and other interior panels, we're probably SOL. The cost of the injection molding tooling for parts that size is enormous, and it seems we're in the phase right now where the cheap people predominantly own these cars and would never pay the prices needed for a company to get their ROI. Everyone with the money needed moved on to 6th gens, C7s and the like. Real shame.
There may be some hope, and it depends on whether a restoration movement develops for the 4th gens. Right now they are mostly gone, some survivor drivers, and a few pristine low mileage examples. It seems to take about 20 years before interest develops in restoring a car model, before that they are pretty much just used cars.

I saw that happen to GTO's in the 80's. But then they represented something that was no longer available on the market - musclecars in the age of lo-po medicore products - except for the 5.0 Mustang. But current models on the market today exceed the performance of the 4th gens, so there's not a huge nostalgic yearning for what they represented.

All that being said, if stuff is being reproduced for the 3rd Gens, there's hope for the 4th gens, as they were superior in every way. It just may take more time.

Old 01-01-2021, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 865 Likes on 661 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Camaro central had an aftermarket ABS version but I think they discontinued it.
Old 04-08-2023, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well,I still need the dash pad. Life got in the way and now the dash is really bad. Has anyone tried out any of the ones that were mentioned?
Old 04-11-2023, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine didnt crack but i purchased the ebay nylon fabric dash pad or cover i believe they have abs new ones now back in 2009 and it looked pretty nice. Not sure if this is a direct replacement for the factory one but is abs plastic.
These seem to fit over cracked existing dash.
1998 Chevrolet Camaro ABS Thermoplastic Dash Cover - Black 249-15013 by Dashtop® (carparts.com)
Black Fit For 1997 1998-2002 Firebird Camaro Molded Dash Cover Cap Overlay | eBay

Quick Reply: Looking for new dash pad