Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was fixed in June 2004

No questions asked my Dealer did mine and my Fiances T/A's and his car had 90K miles on it in 2004 his is a 99 mine an 2001
Old 07-04-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Don't forget to write to Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny, and the wicked witch of the south too....you will get just as much help from them as you will from the phuchin BB ...
Well for your information I went through the BBB and they got my car fixed.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, so far I have been rejected by the dealer and my insurance...next stop...the BBB
Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

good luck my f-body friend ..
Old 07-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Just a thought. Has anyone tried having the roof and sail panel gel coated like is done on corvette's to see if this stops the bubbles from working throw?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:57 AM
10 Second Club

I tried to get this fixed when I bought the car...and they said no because I wasn't the original owner.. :/ This sucks..it looks like complete crap..
Old 07-13-2008, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TripleWhite96
I tried to get this fixed when I bought the car...and they said no because I wasn't the original owner.. :/ This sucks..it looks like complete crap..
Im the second owner of my car, I got it fixed by a dealership free of charge without going through the BBB. Keep fighting you'll get it fixed.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Teching In

I'm the second owner of my car I took it to the a chevy dealer the body manager looked up the bullitin himself and took pictures sent them in they said no because i'm not the orignal owner so he told me to call in so i did and they opened up a claim...GM has actually been keeping in good contact with me the past week and they keep in contact with the dealership. I guess after some research the body manager found out that no previous warrenty work had EVER been done on my 02 Z28 so when I told GM they have no money invested in any kind of work ever done on the car they should take that into consideration. Got the call today that basicly I had to take it back to the dealer to have two other people verify that the issue was indead caused by the glue under the panel and they verified it. The body shop manager said it looks like they are going to do it for me with little fight really. We'll see so far so good
Old 07-16-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bad_Majick
I'm the second owner of my car I took it to the a chevy dealer the body manager looked up the bullitin himself and took pictures sent them in they said no because i'm not the orignal owner so he told me to call in so i did and they opened up a claim...GM has actually been keeping in good contact with me the past week and they keep in contact with the dealership. I guess after some research the body manager found out that no previous warrenty work had EVER been done on my 02 Z28 so when I told GM they have no money invested in any kind of work ever done on the car they should take that into consideration. Got the call today that basicly I had to take it back to the dealer to have two other people verify that the issue was indead caused by the glue under the panel and they verified it. The body shop manager said it looks like they are going to do it for me with little fight really. We'll see so far so good
Sounds like you're on your way, keep your fingers crossed.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Teching In

wow GM just called me back, guess being polite and patient really paid off...seems like i got off easy compared to others on this thread especially since i'm not the original owner and all... good luck to everyone else only advice i have on what i did was be polite and keep being polite until you get a yes from someone lol
Old 07-17-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bad_Majick
wow GM just called me back, guess being polite and patient really paid off...seems like i got off easy compared to others on this thread especially since i'm not the original owner and all... good luck to everyone else only advice i have on what i did was be polite and keep being polite until you get a yes from someone lol
Maybe they figured out that people just are not going to stop pestering them until the problems are fixed.....customer service....what a concept.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

my sail panel is out of control big time ,they wont fix it around here i try .
Old 07-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
Maybe they figured out that people just are not going to stop pestering them until the problems are fixed.....customer service....what a concept.
well it gave me a little more respect for them plus the dealership helpped me out i think they did a lot for me too he understood the concept of why not get some profit from doing it bcz if GM doesn't cover it i'm not going to have it done there and he knew that
Old 08-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Marksman762
Thanks!

I should also say, please post what the status on your case is as well. IE: they fixed it for free, they paid a %, or it's been denied.
mine have both been denied...different shop managers, same dealer, body guy said he thought they ought to do it but would have to check with manager who said
no way...loyalty...this dealer lost mine...probably gonna buy a new Camaro for wife when they're out....but not from this dealer!!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rs94z28
mine have both been denied...different shop managers, same dealer, body guy said he thought they ought to do it but would have to check with manager who said
no way...loyalty...this dealer lost mine...probably gonna buy a new Camaro for wife when they're out....but not from this dealer!!!!
Your 2001 Camaro is outside the limits of the 6 year 100,000 warranty...it is not the dealers call...GM is the one that said no...go to another dealer and see what happens...bet you get the same results there...you have been turned down at the dealer level now go to war with GM..call GM and see if you can get satisfaction there...envolve the BBB and see if you can get some results...personally I think you will probably lose in dealing with GM too but you will never know unless you persue it further than the dealer level..
Old 08-11-2008, 05:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

So how bad does it have to be for it to be replaced? I have one very small bubble, but when the car isnt in wax you can see what look like small bubbles forming all along the panel. I just emailed the dealership I got the car from.
Only thing is I just converted my hard to to a ttop. I wonder if that will be an issue at all. I hope not!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2000 Firehawk with 12,000 Miles on it. I just noticed the Bubbling on My T-top Roof Panel, It's Not Bad Yet, But it is noticable. I sent a Friend of Mine that works for a local Pontiac dealership a Copy of the TSB. He showed it to His Service Manager. The Service Manager said He may fix it, but I have to bring the Car in for Him to look at it. Will it make a differance that it isn't very bad yet? Should I leave it out in the Sun a Couple of Days trying to make it worse??
Old 08-12-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i doubt a few days in the sun would make it worse. my car sits in the sun every day and it hasn't gotten noticeably worse since i got it 3 months ago.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i just opened up my case directly with pontiac, they were telling me then never heard of such a thing, hahaha, i laughed and said while IM PAYING for a diagnosis at the dealer do some research.

Whats the deal with the bulletin number? do you need to know that number, if so could someone tell me, i went threw the first 10 pages and couldnt find it.

But ill update everyone this thursday. Im the 3rd owner and it has 52k if that means anything.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:59 AM
Launching!

Just wondering if anyone has gotten this fixed by a chevy dealer free of charge in Oklahoma or West Arkansas??? Would love to know!!!!!

If not,, what can I do to try to get my roof fixed, who do I call? ??
Fayeteville Auto Park in Arkansas allready turned me down and gave a 900.76 dollar bill. I laughed and said, "that 76 cents is gona break me, never mind"

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies