Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Trouble fitting fiberglass hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007 | 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a bodyshop and have done several of these. 1st check the hood height adjusters on the radiator support (easiest place to start). 2nd adjust the hinges. You may have to move the fenders around a little to make up the difference. Unfortunately the hood is already painted, but for the final trick it may ruin the paint. Take a 2x4 (only needs to be a couple of inches long) and place it between the latch and striker. Dont slam the hood, just let it sit on the wood so that it wont close. Next we take a heat lamp and place it above the hood and let it get really hot (usually not more than 5 minutes. Have someone help you and apply gentle pressure to the left front corner of the hood (the side with no heat on it). Once the right corner is heated up take some shop towels with cold water and apply firm pressure on the hood until you have the desired line you want. You may need to repeat this process several times for one side and repeat for the other side. I have never tried this on a hood that has paint on it. This may sound crude but it works extremely well. The cars we have done this on have all held a perfect line for several years. Any additional help or questions let me know, and good luck.
Old 03-06-2007 | 08:24 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by vetman1
I own a bodyshop and have done several of these. 1st check the hood height adjusters on the radiator support (easiest place to start). 2nd adjust the hinges. You may have to move the fenders around a little to make up the difference. Unfortunately the hood is already painted, but for the final trick it may ruin the paint. Take a 2x4 (only needs to be a couple of inches long) and place it between the latch and striker. Dont slam the hood, just let it sit on the wood so that it wont close. Next we take a heat lamp and place it above the hood and let it get really hot (usually not more than 5 minutes. Have someone help you and apply gentle pressure to the left front corner of the hood (the side with no heat on it). Once the right corner is heated up take some shop towels with cold water and apply firm pressure on the hood until you have the desired line you want. You may need to repeat this process several times for one side and repeat for the other side. I have never tried this on a hood that has paint on it. This may sound crude but it works extremely well. The cars we have done this on have all held a perfect line for several years. Any additional help or questions let me know, and good luck.
That's good stuff.
Old 03-06-2007 | 09:09 AM
ggk
Launching!

that hood looks like it lied on the ground when it wasnt cured.
the courners look to be pushed up.
Old 03-06-2007 | 09:40 AM
ZRO
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vetman1
Never heard of doing that before, will more then likely give it a try. I got a paint and body shop but do it more as a hobby seeing I only have weekends to mess with my cars. So repainting the hood wont be a big deal if it comes to that. Appreciate the advice.
Old 03-06-2007 | 09:48 AM
ZRO
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by THE_SUPRA
eeekkkk! if you dont mind, did you buy a quality hood? i know a less expensive/quality body part will usualy take some massaging and maybe even some reshaping...not somthing to do after the hood is painted...
Got it threw ebay only place I could find them for a somewhat reasonable price. Regret going the ebay route now but not much I do about it besides fix it or throw the stock one back on there. I have fitted a few fiberglass and carbon fiber hoods for freinds and they were easy, this one is warped and wavy.
Old 03-06-2007 | 06:42 PM
Launching!

From personal experince, your paint will spiderweb if you do that with a heat lamp. If flex agent was added then it probably be ok, doubt you put it on the fiberglass though. If it wasnt get ready for a repaint on it.
Old 03-06-2007 | 07:25 PM
Launching!

Id say the sooner you do it, the better chance the paint has to not crack.

Quick Reply: Trouble fitting fiberglass hood