Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

new paint not smooth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parbreak
Sounds like you have a "dry finish" which can result from the clearcoat being sprayed on with too much air pressure so the clearcoat was atomized too much before hitting the surface of the car.

I disagree that a glass surface can't be achieved without wetsanding. IF the painter knows what he is doing and adjusts his gun and technique for the environment and conditions, ie. temp, humidity, etc. and technique being gun speed, air adjustment, overlap and reducer in the clear, then YES a great surface can be achieved.

It sounds as though we have a lot of folks in this forum giving advice who have never even lifted a paint gun

OH yea, by the way, if you put wax on that new paint job already then you messed up and better get if off right away. Your painter should have told you yet. Even though the paint may be dry and hard it takes a minimum of 30-60 days for the paint to fully cure and all the solvents to be released. Otherwise the wax will hold in the solvents and prevent the proper venting. This will lead to problems down the road such as delamination, lifting, etc.

Bryan
parbreak
I have wet sanded and buffed cars before so that the finish is smooth as glass, and has no orange peel. Just because I am 18 doesn't mean I don't know WTF I am talking about
Old 03-03-2014, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey if painters can hit that home run every time you paint with NO orange peel. I salute you but for the rest of us garage or low budget guys who have to make the best of what we can do. Not a damn thing wrong with cut and buff.

We are not all painting Madana's car here. Just get out there and try. If you have enough clear or paint in single stage you can wet sand and buff to a mirror finish. No shame in that game.

Sean Penn probably gave that car to Hugo Chavez anyway.

Quick Reply: new paint not smooth?