Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

anybody else in here paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default anybody else in here paint

anybody else shot with house of kolor? i just cleared some parts today. and i found out the hard way on the first pieces you have to be EXACT on mixing and the flash time. anyways anybody have a brand of paint they like better then others? and what kinda clear gun do you use. i got the GTI milleniem edition develbus. i love it for laying paint but id like to get ahold of a GEO for layin paint. very good spray pattern and very concervative. awesome gun for tri-coat

- Scottie
Old 01-09-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a Binks M1-G for both clear and basecoat. Awesome HVLP gun and it has a relatively low air consumption need. As far as paint, I like Valspar which just happens to be the parent company of HOK.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 01-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Dupont myself. I am spraying with SATA RP2 digitals, 1.3 for color and 1.4 for clear.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Newbie here. I have a homemade booth in my shop (8x10) made from PVC pipe and plastic sheeting. Gun is a DeVilbiss GFG-670 for base/clear, and an Astro QUL109 for primer. I'm working on some hoods and an SS spoiler right now for my cars. Still learning every time I put on the bunny suit...
Old 01-09-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I use PPG paints and find they are very reliable and hold up well, their Vibrance line has come a long way. While they dont have quite the same line up as HoK as far as custom colors, the color match is dead on 99% of the time.
I use a DeVilBiss with a 1.2 for basecoats, singlestage (rarely), and sometimes clears. I use a Jon Kosmoski Satajet RP digital for clear only (1.4), a Satajet Rp for sealers and primer.
I also have a Jon Kosmoski minijet for blending and small jobs, a 3M HVLP which I thinks sucks. All but the 3M are conventionals. I like them better than HVLP.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:25 PM
FormerVendor

I juse sickens clear or dupont. HOK clear seemed to be very thin when I last shot some it. I really didn't like it at all. I use a Sata digital for clear.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got an anesta iawata* good gun but i always fall back on my old sata, probably painted over 1,000 cars with it in the last 5 years or so, and still works better for me than any other gun i used
Old 01-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're talking about needing to be exact on mixing times.... are you spraying urethane HOK Kandy?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

My father's owned an autobody for 30+ yrs, and I've worked there all through highschool and when I'm home from college. Throughout the years, we've used several different paint systems, but the only brand we keep returning to is Sikkens. It's a PPG product, and we use the Lesonal line, which is basically the same as the normal PPG product, but w/o the cost of the "better" so to speak labeling. Why it's cheaper, I couldn't tell you, but the product is very consistent and reliable. It leaves a great finish and is really easy to work with. I've sprayed it a few times for odds and ends jobs (my Berger panel, SS Stripes, etc) and it's always come out great. Just thought I'd throw in my .02

As far as guns, we use the Sata Jet Digital HVLP. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for.

Here's a pic of my car after I put the stripes on, Once I got them done I didn't like the curve of them in the front so I narrowed them down, but I haven't taken any more pics of it. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails anybody else in here paint-1.jpg   anybody else in here paint-3.jpg   anybody else in here paint-2.jpg  

Last edited by NW00SS; 01-10-2007 at 09:39 PM.

Quick Reply: anybody else in here paint