Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Salt Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salt Damage?

I live in Michigan, and right now there is left over salt on the roads. I dont drive my trans am in rain or snow, but i was wondering if the left over salt will affect the paint or any of my car at all. I'm talking the next day when the roads are dry
Old 01-18-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

yeah just wash it after you drive it don't let it sit for a long time
Old 01-19-2007, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

+1 for getting that crap off ASAP.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

What would you say about the chrome rims? would they be damaged also?
Old 01-21-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes, salt is highly corrosive. Definately spray it off as soon as you can after you're done driving it. Thats the main reason northern cars are so commonly rusted out and people prefer southern cars ("california cars" "texas cars" "arizona cars") etc
Old 01-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Especially the chrome rims. Make sure you rinse off the inside of the rims aswell. Salt with brake dust will start pitting your chrome fast if you don't get it off from the backside also. I have seen beautiful chrome rims on the face of the wheels with terrible and pitting chrome on the inside.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

yea i think i might just switch back to the old rims n tires and only drive when necessary. Huge drawback of Michigan i hate just watchn my car sit the garage
Old 01-21-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Perfect example is the muscle cars that are becoming so popular now.

Everyone wants a western car because they don't have the rust due to no salt eating everything away causing rust. My '67 has little rust damage because it has been a racecar its whole life, thus it didn't have salt eating the paint/clear creating rust.

I got a good '69 Camaro for a Kentucky car and it only needed 2 quarters, heels on the fenders and a drivers side floor pan. A good California car doesn't need this.

Salt = not good.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

there is A TON of left over salt on the roads here.... and i cant wash it off because we shut off the hoses so they dont freeze & break. And i dont have a damn garage. any suggestions?
Old 01-22-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't seen a rusted 4th gen f-bod yet...but I still don't drive mine. Just keep it off the roads for a few more months. You will enjoy it a lot more then
Old 01-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wdpballer46
there is A TON of left over salt on the roads here.... and i cant wash it off because we shut off the hoses so they dont freeze & break. And i dont have a damn garage. any suggestions?
Dude take it to hand car wash place there's got to be one near you. Not my first choice, but better then leaving the car full of caked on salt.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What about under the car in the jams? Are you going to put the car on stands and wash the car everywhere? It's not worth it too me.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Launching!

I (should) know about this subject first hand. First of all, do not panic. Road salt, although lethal, is much slower in corrosive action than the salts that they were using years ago (There are some cars that go around with cakes of salt that haven't been washed for weeks during the winter.....DON'T). You can drive on moderately salty roads and not worry, but you will have to keep a very good cleaning regimen. You should wash your car a minimum of once a week, rain or shine. I would recommend that if possible, do not let the salt stay on the car for more than 2-3 days. When the weather gets to at least 33 degrees, take some warm water in a bucket, and rinse off areas as much as possible.

Your best bet, however, is to find an automated car wash (preferrably a hand car wash) that has an underbody wash service. A good car wash will prove to be your best friend during the harsh winter months, and if its a hand car wash, so much the better for your paint. It is a much better alternative than suffering in the freezing weather trying to wash your car.

At the very least, wash your car thoroughly at least once a week. It is also a very good thing to undercoat your car with rubberized spray on undercoating. That will help fight off salt and corrosion immeasurably (I always have my new cars undercoated.....one day I may even make it to the DD).
Old 01-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

So to wrap it up, running it through a car wash once a week and have them hit the undercarriage will take care of it? That will cause minimal salt damage

Quick Reply: Salt Damage?