Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint fender now or wait?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Paint fender now or wait?

Here's the thing, I got hit by this girl not paying attentiong and busted my driver side fender and scuffed the paint off of the bottom part of the bumper. im still waiting on the insurance money to come in. suppost to be 700 so lets hope it holds true. anyways i got a fender off of ebay and just got it in today. i was asking a friend how much it would cost to get it painted and he qouted me 350 to do it right. now here's the thing, i'm usuing the money to get my car tuned, around 420 bucks next week, if the check comes in..., and then i was hoping to have around 150 left over to get it painted. i got my fender and was wanting to get it paitned then i would install it later. but if the price is to high, i was just going to stick it on and wait until i get more money to buy my sonoco hood with my SS spoiler and get the whole car painted the same time to all match together. but if i put the fender on (it's bare like the black color that it comes in) will it get damaged? will i have to put wax on it to keep it from drying out with the sun and stuff? also when it gets painted will you be able to tell it was painted while on the car, if you look at the gaps ? thanks in advance
Old 02-02-2007, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To do it right, the fender needs to be "cut in". That means painting the edges of the fender while its off the car. Then install it, and paint the fender and blend the color back onto the door and clear both the door and fender. This is how most shops would do it for best color match. If the bumper is damaged then it can be painted at the same time also. What ever you do don't put wax on it before it is painted. You can ride around with the fender on the car if you wish. Eventually the sun will start to break down the primer on the fender but will take some time.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah that was what i was thinking, i was just wondering since it's bare to the elements if it would end up cracking and stuff, that's why i thought of puttin wax on to keep it "moist" here's a link to give you an idea of what i'm dealing with

http://www.sleepingz.com/index.php?topic=38.0
Old 02-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Launching!

For the love of the guy painting it, DON'T put wax on the fender. Its ok to ride around with it on the car.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

alright, no wax.

how long do you think i'll be able to ride bare like that? a few months?
Old 02-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Its plastic, its not going to hurt anything. If it was metal the protective primer may let in moisture, but in your case not an issue. Why didnt you hold out and get one the same color? Even if it cost more or still needed painted, least it would be close and less work in the long run.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

???? confused, if i held out for one the same color, but still needed to be painted??

today i'm going to do some paint shopping looking around at prices. hopfully it'll be less than 75 bucks (i doubt it lol) then i'll look arund for a shop...or else i paint it!!
Old 02-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Launching!

You will be fine riding around with it unpainted for as long as you want. If you cant find someone to paint it for a while and you dont like black, just spray paint it for now
Old 02-04-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

well i can shoot some coats on it myself, i have the basic idea down. it's just i was kind of hoping to be able to get my new hood some time soon, but doubt i'll be able to this year! lol the hardest part would be trying to keep the fender clean. like not getting hand prints on it and stuff, fish eye is the devil in paint! eeew lol

Quick Reply: Paint fender now or wait?