Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

the pewter just doesn't look right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007 | 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Question the pewter just doesn't look right?

I painted a lot of engine parts this afternoon - actually looks NICE - HOWEVER the motor parts look more silver to me than they do that goldish pewter color - nice metal flake look to them but the appearance definitely looks silver? Will the paint darken to a golden color when it cures finally? Or is what I'm looking at what I get? I was thinking of doing the engine compartment but I'm scared that the outside of the car and inside of the compartment will look messed up? I am using Dupont color code 382E on a 1:1 mixed ratio with chroma system basemaker then a 4:1 ratio clear the paint also has the identifier as B9810K color - Pewter. What should I do??? almost quite impressed with the way the motor parts turned out wish I could just paint the whole car and say forget it... heh heh. Thanks for any help!
Old 02-10-2007 | 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the main thing with pewter is being metallic makes it harder to match, but if u look theres 7 or so varieances of that coler
Old 02-11-2007 | 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Did you clear the parts yet? You'd be amazed how much difference clear will add to a color. I painted my 86 S10 GM Radar Purple and before the clear it looked like a super bright blue color. Then after the clear it finally looked dark purple. I would imagine that pewter could be similar. Depending on the light I've seen some pewters look more silver than gold as well.
Old 02-15-2007 | 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

make sure you use the vin number to identify the color variance through the Dupont Vindicator system

Quick Reply: the pewter just doesn't look right?