Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting plastic bumpers????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting plastic bumpers????

I am used to painting motorcycles so i am not familiar with flex agents and adhesion promoters. Can someone give me a little tutorial on the how to's of painting plastic bumpers. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

scuff it down real well, spray 801 ppg adhesion promoter, or bull dog on it, epoxy seal it, then start baseing over it when the sealer flashes off, and add flex additive in the clear if u want
Old 02-23-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Can i spray primer surfacer after the adhesion promoter? It has some scratches i want to fill in and i dont think the sealer is thick enough to cover them. Do i have to add flex to the primer?
Old 02-23-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

redramair is 100% correct... but no you cannot spray the primer over that 801 adhesion promoter... use some kind of E-Z sand flexible filler or somthing on the scratches and then just prime the little spots where the filler is so that the paint doesnt sink into the filler.... and scuff the prime and rest of the bumper smooth... then adhesion promoter... then sealer (now they make special sealers to help the paint stick better on theplasic surface its like DP primers we use ppg thats what they call it) its almost like an etch sealer if you will... but that stuff needs to dry for at least an hour before basing... and add flex to the clear if you want to.... now when you use the adhesion promoter it has to sit on the bumper for at least a 1/2 hour before sealing it.... good luck on your adventures....
Old 02-23-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Well my car was hit verry slowly by a four wheeler in the front and it looks like it bearly spidered the paint. that means i have to go all the way down to the plastic where that is happening right? So then i just add primer after sanding all the way down then the adhesion promoter then the sealer?
Old 02-24-2007, 06:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dp series sealer is what i use, but i guess i gave u the wrong information, i thought that u where painting a brand new bumper cover, da out all the bad paint, high build primer it, block out prime etc til u get out all the burss in the plastic u might get from da'ing it, then wet sand it with 400 to 600, then scuff the rest of the bumper down with 1000 or get some scuff paste and tan scuff pads, then paint it like u would anything else, and add some flex agent to the clear if it makes u feel better
Old 02-25-2007, 03:59 AM
TECH Resident

Sweet! Im glad i dont have to use that adhesion crap. Man i painted a ATV/Prowler from artic cat and that was the first time i ever used adhesion promoter i researched it but it never stressed on how much to let it flash. I asume by what i remember that it is suposed to be sprayed on wet on wet.(bulldog adhesion promoter)

Quick Reply: Painting plastic bumpers????