Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Trouble with VHT Night Shades on 3rd brake light

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is how i do all of my tinting..... I take the product and wipe it down with wax and grease remover, then skuff it with a red scoth brite, or sand it with 6-800 grit sandpaper. Wash it. Wipe it down with wax and grease remover again. Spray it with a plastic adhesion promotor to soften the plastic. Then i take either a base clear, or i mix up some clear coat and tint it with black. Spray that over the plastic until i get it tinted to my liking and then i spray it with clear.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

the only step I missed from above, is the plastic adhesion promotor. that could be the difference. I used 220 grit to wet sand the numbers off, then 600, then 800. wiped it off again with wax/grease remover. the VHT has some sort of reaction to the plastic used for the third brake light. the tail lights went on very smooth, the side marker lights were a little harder to get good/even/light coverage. then the third brake light immediatly split/cracked when I laid on the first coat of paint. I do very light coats. def. not the issue. I like the idea of tinting some clear coat instead of using vht though. might end up with less work in between stages.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

I've seen it happen with tail lights before on different cars.... most likely its the type of plastic. I'm not familiar with the VHT product, but anytime you are spraying paint with no primer there is a bigger chance of problems. Even with primer some plastics just can't be painted over. Adhesion promotor is an awesome product from plastics. It actually softens th plastic so you have a chemical bond as well as mechanical
Old 10-17-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well guys im a pro painter and here is my input

#1 that vht nite shade sucks, and it will fade out, you would be better off going to your local autobody shop and having them clear your lights with a drop of black, this is how i do mine and they look awesome

#2 2000, 1500, even 1000 is WAYYYY to smooth, use 600 instead, with some dish soap as lube/cleaner

#3 it has nothing to do with the type or plastic you just did not prep your light completely, clean it with dish soap, and invest in a can of prepsol, if there was ever silicone on your lights ( which im sure there was, its in waxes, armorall, ect ect) it will ruin your paint and cause problems, sand it down and try it again, good luck
Old 10-17-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also,dont use thinner on plastics, it eats them up and softens them
Old 10-17-2007, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

wonderin now, I have thinner, and wax and grease remover. hmm, did I possibly use the thinner to final wipe down the third brake light? possibly. maybe. who knows. all I know is that damn brake lamp was like $60 my price (dealership employee) and I aint buying another one.

Quick Reply: Trouble with VHT Night Shades on 3rd brake light