Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Best way to fix SS spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to fix SS spoiler?

There's about an inch long gash in my spoiler from when someone hit me in the parking lot and drove off. It's not very deep...maybe about 1/4 inch. It's raised up a little bit too (where the gash is).

How much would a body shop charge to fix it? Or is there anyway I can fix it myself?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

body shops will try to **** and if you have not worked with these repairs before then don't practice on the camaro. Remember this is not a fiberglass spoiler. SMC I believe like the hood.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

only thing a body shop can really do, short of replacing it for you, is attempt to "V" out the gash. Rough it up and then fill it. And hopefully they will use like a short strand type filler.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Post up a pic
Old 03-25-2007, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by davidfre21
only thing a body shop can really do, short of replacing it for you, is attempt to "V" out the gash. Rough it up and then fill it. And hopefully they will use like a short strand type filler.
You can't do that to the spoiler it is not a plastic bumper or fender!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

ill give you a hundred bucks for it......
Old 03-25-2007, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

I don't think its for sale and if it is I'll pay $110.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by m_ghonim

That is where you are quite wrong.... More than a decade of collision repair under my belt, and I have grooved/ground out the cracked area and filled them just like suggested(use something like cat hair), and they have held up with NO problems. It will work, if done correctly, but make sure the worked area is clean before filling..

Blade, please post a pic for a more accurate diagnosis of the problemed area.

Last edited by Tim Noel; 03-25-2007 at 03:30 PM. Reason: added to post
Old 03-25-2007, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tim Noel
That is where you are quite wrong.... More than a decade of collision repair under my belt, and I have grooved/ground out the cracked area and filled them just like suggested(use something like cat hair), and they have held up with NO problems. It will work, if done correctly, but make sure the worked area is clean before filling..

Blade, please post a pic for a more accurate diagnosis of the problemed area.
If the damage is showing the fibers or deep you can't just fill it in. Thats like just filling dents on the car with bondo, its a temporary fix but won't hold well and may crack over time.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

If the damage is showing the fibers or deep you can't just fill it in. Thats like just filling dents on the car with bondo, its a temporary fix but won't hold well and may crack over time.
You don't appear to have a clue as to how the process works, so I wish you would stop passing the WRONG information to others.

Better leave the body work to someone who knows what they are talking about.

It IS NOT a "temporary fix" if done correctly, and WILL hold as well as a new one would.

JFYI.... All the custom cars from Chip Foose, Boyd Coddington, ect.... have filler in them. If you want a perfect body, you have to use some to take out every little dimple to make them perfect, that is why the kings of the car industry use them, too.

We don't use "bondo" anymore. That is the old crap, and it was like putting concrete in dents only to fail later. That was the "old timers" way of doing things before all the great technological advances in the collision repair industry. Technology is alot different than you realize, as the fillers are more flexible and don't crack out if done correctly(metal pulled and worked in a proper fashion). I have used filler on show cars more than 10 years back, and they look the same now, as when I originally done them. It's just like anything, it has to be done right to achieve the correct/best results.

No matter how deep the gash is on the spoiler, it CAN be fixed to look like new, and it WILL hold up and be as perfect as buying a new spoiler. If it's not too bad, there are some 3M epoxies that can be used as well, and are very strong and durable for a great repair.

Pics would help with a final decision as how to go about repairing it, though.

Last edited by Tim Noel; 03-25-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

go ahead and stuff an big old gash with some filler then!!!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

go ahead and stuff an big old gash with some filler then!!!!!
Dude, you are being an idiot..

How many years of professional collision repair experience do you have?

The spoiler can be repaired, so stop the "mis-information train", to scare the guy into buying a part he does not need to buy.

I do notice you want to buy his spoiler. If it's such a lost cause, why do you want it? Hmmmmmmmm....

Last edited by Tim Noel; 03-25-2007 at 05:18 PM. Reason: info added
Old 03-25-2007, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

I was just responding to the guy that posted the bid for 100. I never said it is a lost cause I just know its better if you don't just fill it in but thats what most old timers want to do these days just like the guy that wanted to fix my SS hood by just ******* filling it in but it would have just been a temporary fix so I did it myself and stronger than it was originally. I have enough experience working with this stuff to throw my .02 in. Better to use some fiberglass with the Resin than just fudge packing the ******. Each person has their opinion on how to do a repair so don get butt hurt!!!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

I was just responding to the guy that posted the bid for 100. I never said it is a lost cause I just know its better if you don't just fill it in but thats what most old timers want to do these days just like the guy that wanted to fix my SS hood by just ******* filling it in but it would have just been a temporary fix so I did it myself and stronger than it was originally. I have enough experience working with this stuff to throw my .02 in. Better to use some fiberglass with the Resin than just fudge packing the ******. Each person has their opinion on how to do a repair so don get butt hurt!!!!!
Noone suggested "fudge packing" anything. Fiberglass is a filler, believe it or not. In your mind, you think filler means "bondo". It's obvious from your posts..

Until you work in a professional collision shop or do this type of work on a daily basis, you are nothing more than a "shade tree bodyman" who does not understand all the processes that can be used to make a perfect repair(i.e. epoxy, cat hair, ect..) I have seen more than one guy like yourself, who comes into my place of work thinking he knows how to best repair his car, more than I. I find it funny he brings it to me to fix it. If he knows so much, why does he want me to do it? You are in that category, in my opinion..

I'll just let you keep bloviating. I don't know anything, and since you're the professional, you can school all of us. K?
Old 03-25-2007, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Noone suggested "fudge packing" anything. Fiberglass is a filler, believe it or not. In your mind, you think filler means "bondo". It's obvious from your posts..

Until you work in a professional collision shop or do this type of work on a daily basis, you are nothing more than a "shade tree bodyman" who does not understand all the processes that can be used to make a perfect repair(i.e. epoxy, cat hair, ect..) I have seen more than one guy like yourself, who comes into my place of work thinking he knows how to best repair his car, more than I. I find it funny he brings it to me to fix it. If he knows so much, why does he want me to do it? You are in that category, in my opinion..

I'll just let you keep bloviating. I don't know anything, and since you're the professional, you can school all of us. K?
I didn't say the filler is like bondo I just said you can just fill **** because you got to fix the actual damage before just filling it like you can't just put bondo on a pushed in quarter panel and paint it. You keep making people that your job is so important mister AUTO BODY SHOP OF THE RICH AND FAMOUS OF THE WORLD. This stuff is not that difficult to fix and I do fix this stuff all the time and I'm not just some retard that works in the back of a shop like you probably are and just trying to get people to come in and pay you big bucks for just filling **** in. Now go fill you your ******* with a filler shaped *****. done with your retarded *** you just want to feel like you have a meaning of existance well hate to break it to you that your parents made a mistake also caused by the condom manufacturing industy. YOU ARE USELESS
Old 03-25-2007, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Obviously, I am dealing with a youngster, here. When you lose your arguement, you resort to cussing and vulgar tactics. It shows your age, so I hope you feel better. Maybe a little better parenting would have benefited your life, so you would not have such a filthy mouth towards your elders.

I don't cheat people, but do their repairs correctly. That is how I have sustained a good rep and made a living in my profession. I have even been accused of being way too picky by many, including insurance companies whom I have done collision repair work for. Nothing to prove by arguing with a punk kid on this message forum....
Old 03-25-2007, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

All that you said above wasn't anything towards me. You started attacking my method like it is a retarded way to fix when I had many people refer me to others and never one complaint. That is the reason I did that last post and it wasn't all vulger and that there wasn't any parenting involved in raising me because I was raised in a very well manner with a good background not the one that accepts gay marriage and all that bullshit....no offense to your sexual orientation just an example.... I'm done wasting my time with you I have better things to do have a wonderful day chat again later
Old 03-25-2007, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Exactly its not plastic, and i wouldnt repair plastic as such. But if its a gash in something made of SMC/fiberglass a fiberglass filler will bond to it then and there would be no issue. Like the other guy i fix stuff like this everyday at the shop i work at. You would need to feather the filler into the gash, hense why i said V it out. Then id use a build primer over it and then a lite block. And my repair will hold up just as good as anything special u do only difference being mine will take a fraction of the time. And in a shop time is money...

Quick Reply: Best way to fix SS spoiler?