Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

dang racoons

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007 | 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default dang racoons

I let my dad drive my car to work and he brings it back with paint cracking and flieing off my front bumper and urethane body kit. He said he ran over a coon doin about 25 but im gonna say he was doin at least 60 cause i know my dad....lol. My question is do you think the cracks are just in the paint or does the bumper probably have stress cracks?
Old 03-26-2007 | 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

"Coons??... Coons come on the back porch all the time... ma'ma just sweeps em off with a broom"
Old 03-26-2007 | 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
"Coons??... Coons come on the back porch all the time... ma'ma just sweeps em off with a broom"
Yea coons great thing or in this case bad thing about kentucky lots of wild life.
Old 03-26-2007 | 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EarlSS
I let my dad drive my car to work and he brings it back with paint cracking and flieing off my front bumper and urethane body kit. He said he ran over a coon doin about 25 but im gonna say he was doin at least 60 cause i know my dad....lol. My question is do you think the cracks are just in the paint or does the bumper probably have stress cracks?
More than likely, just in the paint. Won't know for sure unless I could see it in person(or some good up close pics), but most generally something this small just cracks the paint seeing as the bumper is urethane. If it was a cheap body kit made of plastic it probably would have cracked it, but not with urethane. It is pretty durable stuff.

It can be stripped and refinished to be like new again, so that's the best news out of a crappy situation.
Old 03-26-2007 | 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim Noel
More than likely, just in the paint. Won't know for sure unless I could see it in person(or some good up close pics), but most generally something this small just cracks the paint seeing as the bumper is urethane. If it was a cheap body kit made of plastic it probably would have cracked it, but not with urethane. It is pretty durable stuff.

It can be stripped and refinished to be like new again, so that's the best news out of a crappy situation.
Glad to hear this. I plan on trying to strip the bumper all the way down myself by sanding it. That might save me a few bucks at the body shop.

Last edited by phantomzer0; 03-26-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2007 | 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Unless you know what you are doing, I don't recommend this. Usually body shops aren't charging you that much more to sand it themselves. If you aren't careful you may sand one area too much and cause your bumper to become wavy. If this is the case, it will wind up costing you much more in the long run.
Old 03-26-2007 | 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't figure it would be to hard since i plan on takeing the whole bumper down to the plastic.
Old 03-26-2007 | 09:36 PM
On The Tree

If you want it down to the bare urethane, it's best to strip it with paint stripper(with bumper off the car). It's much easier, and won't eat up alot of sandpaper and time in the process..

I would suggest letting the shop do it all. I hate when people bring stuff into the shop that they have already tried to work on, and want me to finish fixing it. In alot of cases it costs more to fix what they have messed up, in order to have a nice paint job.

Better to let the guys who do it for a living, do it right the first time, instead of doing it yourself with little or no experience. JMO..
Old 03-26-2007 | 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll probably just let a shop do it for me since i dont want to mess it up and be out more money in the long run. To me it dont look like the bump has stress cracks though.

Quick Reply: dang racoons