Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Clear Coat

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Coat

I have a 98 Formula that is Artic White i was wondering if a paint shop could put like a blue tint in a clear coat. I love the white but i want to set it off a little bit.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

yea they can definitly do it... thats basically what house of kolors is... tinted clear... depending on what kinda blue and how its done it might look kinda cool.. then again it could look horrible..
Old 03-27-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Isn't that called a pearl? I really don't know... just sort of guessing. I don't know a ton about paint.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

no... perl is the reflective sparkly stuff (which by the way looks horrible if mixed in with the clear and not the basecoat).. a tinted clear is basically a candy
Old 03-27-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this has the potential to be really bad, or really good... if i were u, id try a light blue and set it off with those blue 30th anniversary rims...
Old 03-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No way! A blue pearl looks killer on a white car! You won't see it except when light reflects off it, and all the body lines will glow with blue when you catch a reflection. It can be sprayed either in the clear or as a midcoat betwen the clear and base. Ask a body shop for a sample... and make sure they spray it on something with a curve or edge!! You'll love it!

Blue KAndy over white will look like blue paint.
Originally Posted by Ricer
no... perl is the reflective sparkly stuff (which by the way looks horrible if mixed in with the clear and not the basecoat).. a tinted clear is basically a candy
Old 03-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whistler
No way! A blue pearl looks killer on a white car! You won't see it except when light reflects off it, and all the body lines will glow with blue when you catch a reflection. It can be sprayed either in the clear or as a midcoat betwen the clear and base. Ask a body shop for a sample... and make sure they spray it on something with a curve or edge!! You'll love it!

Blue KAndy over white will look like blue paint.
I agree. My purple z28 looked a bit pink when the sun hit it and so I had it redone with just blue pearl in the clear coat, didn't touch the original paint other than to prep, and now it's perfect.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

My preference would be to spray it as a separate coat or midcoat and then use pure clear over it.

Bryan
Old 03-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all of the info I am going for just a hint of blue Just to set it off.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

It would kinda be like a special paint back in the day, called flip flop. It is like adding pearl to the clear.

Beware of putting to much over white base. It could look like dirt specs in the paint. Use a very fine pearl.

I've done it over diamond white which is what is on the escalades. It had a pretty blue cast to it.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:45 AM
Launching!

Im sure itd look great, Im doing mine with a pearl white, now ya got me thinking even more!
Old 04-01-2007, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

yeah I don't know about tinting??? why don't you just paint it a different color?
Old 04-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah you can put pearl in the clear coat but yes you should paint another coat of clear over that so if your sanding and buffing your not taking away pearl making dull spots! pearl can look amazing in clearcoat but shouldnt be dont by a beginner because "tiger stripping" may occur and itll look horrible but puttin blue tint in the clear is going to change the over all color and once again your risk striping greatly because its in the clear and could spell for disaster! good luck on wat ever you decide to do

Quick Reply: Clear Coat