Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

To much wax hurts paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I respect the information that you are saying. I was adding to this conversation relevant facts that I've experienced in my 20+ years in detailing, as well as observing, judging and detailing other cars.

I didn't take your comments as being cocky; Actually good debate is healthy. I just want to put it out there that there are a lot of methods that you can use to achieve optimal results. Ultimately its up to any individual to pick and choose a method that will show up in their driveway or garage.

I had to talk about PC's and rotarys because there have been great inroads in terms of newly achieved results that not only detailing professionals can achieve, but regular folks can also accomplish with some helpful tips. There was once a time that I would not allow a buffing machine near any of my cars (for polishing or waxing). But having seen and experienced some of the great effects that these machines can render (with the right tools and methods of course), the attributes of buffers should be recognized.

I will agree with you on one bit; As a personal preference, and that's due to my bias as well as the type of wax that I use, I too prefer to wax via hand. That's not to say that, yes again, its the only way. But because of what I use, I will normally prefer using my hands in waxing. I would almost say that hand waxing is the best method, but having seen humbling results achieved with good PC and pad work, I just caution people to be open to many different methods that can be utilized in detailing your own car.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Fair enough, and nice talking to you. I better get to bed. Gotta work in the morning.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:50 PM
Launching!

It was cool chatting. Happy waxing!
Old 03-30-2007, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

So what are some of the waxes you guys would prefer then, when it comes to waxing on a daily basis? Yes I love a really nice look, but I also like the protection factor too; being that the car is daily driven without a garage to come home too.

Generally I clean the car really good, let it dry, apply meguiars wax, and buff it off with a terry towel. I usually do this about every other weekend, any suggestions from the pros?
Old 03-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Teching In

I use a sealant. Wax tends to wash off after a very short time and I like mine to stay "detailed". The brand/product will depend on what your trying to do
remove swirls,remove dead paint,basic shine. And I would recomend investing in some quality microfiber towels.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Wax that's allowed to dry properly will not wash off. Contrary to popular belief, a wax that's applied properly will last a surprisingly long amount of time. I'll leave it at that, because one should be open on the types of lsps to use; A wax and sealant both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Without naming brand names (almost), if you decide to use wax, the best type of wax to use is a "pure" wax. You can use cleaner waxes (there are a lot of them), but they will not allow layering (building of layers after application), and IMO they tend to have weaker rendering ability as opposed to a pure wax.

Good pure wax brands you can choose from Pinnacle Souveran, P21s, Natty's Blue; Chemical Guys -check out their "50/50" (it actually by definition isn't really a pure wax bc it contains polymers as a significant ingredient)...let's see...Carnauba Moose, Victoria Wax, Swissol, Zymol (Zymol is my hands down favorite). Be careful with the last three brands I mentioned, as they have the potential of emptying your pockets with their prices.

You will really need to try out brands and see which one does it for your car. Never go by heresay or the "end all" product according to many, because more often than not the end-all ends up being a bag of hot air, accomplishing nothing but disappointment in your garage or drive-way. Ask, observe, experiment, and decide.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Im now trying mothers man made ynthetic wax which they say will last alot longer. I tried teflon too but didnt care for it.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Whats some of the brands you guys would recommend though? *stay away from cleaners and stick with "pure wax"* What popular brand would be considered a "pure wax?"
Old 03-31-2007, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Meguiars has one or two pure waxes. Mother's has a pure wax that's been around for centuries. Those two brands should be widely available otc that will give you decent results. Edit: Remember my old friend "Simoniz"...the stuff that would get you in trouble if you left it on too long, and the wax that actually required a day to put on??? Its back, and its supposed to be clearcoat safe as well!!

But, if you're REALLY serious about exploring the limits of carnauba wax, then you should try a couple of those brands I mentioned above.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:30 PM
Restricted User

I'm a black car guy (always owned black, which forces you to become one hell of a detailer)...and i'm a huge Zymol fan. I'm constantly switching up my cleaner and polish brands to see what I like, but once I tried Zymol I knew I found a winner. It's pricey, but worth it in every way. Smells awesome too.

I'm sure there are others out there that are as good or maybe even better, but most of the ones I have heard recommended to me (as substitutes for Zymol) are astronomically expensive. I can't possibly see anything being SO much better that it would be worth those prices.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:12 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I notice banana oil smell in some of the better waxes, like Zymol. This makes a lot of sense and seems to penetrate the paint and makes black blacker or colors richer. I'm sure it's good for the paint itself as is leaches into it. Did you know permanent markers use banana oil? Just a little trivia...

ram

Quick Reply: To much wax hurts paint?