Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Sail Panel Bubbles

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sail Panel Bubbles

pontiac refused to fix my sail panel bubbles, the guy call me today and told me its not covered.This is bs i went to chevy dealership and they told if it was a camaro they would do it at no cost.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

wasnt that a recall? something to do with the glue they used under there....i swore i seen that there was a recall on that,,,,
Old 04-09-2007, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

just called the pontiac dealer here in my hometown and they ran the vin sayin NO RECALLS.... bullshit. i got a bunch of lil bumps all across my panel.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Its not a recall but a service bulletin. I took it once and they repainted it and it kept doing it. So a about a year later I went back and they replaced my entire roof panel at no cost, plus I got a rental car out of the whole deal. I was already past the whole 3yr/36kmile bs....
Old 04-09-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that's stupid that they won't cover it. my '96 hasn't done it but i'm beginning to think it probably won't do it. is there certain years that do it?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
that's stupid that they won't cover it. my '96 hasn't done it but i'm beginning to think it probably won't do it. is there certain years that do it?
Seems like it is limited to the '98+ cars...my 2002 is doing it, haven't attempted to get it fixed yet.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

they did mine first time, no problem. i printed out the service bulletin off of my computer and took it in and had it in hand just in case, but didn't even need it. the bulletin # is 03-08-98-001A issued Apr 2, 2003. try going back to them with that number and ask if they can replace the whole panel. if yall need anything else, shoot me a pm.

EDIT: o and i have had it installed for almost a year and no problems whatsoever with the new panel!
Old 04-09-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pontiac and all the dealerships near me in Ohio gave me the run around and said they wouldn't fix it because it was over the 3yr 36,000 b.s.

I called the dealership where I bought it new and they fixed with no problem. They said they would only do it because I was original owner, but I think it was mainly because I bought it from them new.

Those warrenties are such b.s. for those of us that keep our cars garaged and dont drive them in bad weather. I had only 15,000 miles on mine but it was over 3 years old. I told Pontiac that this car has seen the same amount of sun that a typical car would see in 6 months. I think mainly heat causes the glue to out gas and create bubbles in the paint.

Long story short I got mine fixed for free after a ton of phone calls and a lot of bitchin.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Im having mine done free of charge down here in TX. My car only has 25k on the clock though. All it takes is a good dealer and a forgiving district service manager. Keep searching for one and dont give up. Plenty of people are still getting this taken care of. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

mine did it too but the dealership refused to replace it which is what it needed... instead they redid it like 6 or more + times
Old 04-09-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i got 2 cars both are doing it my grage queen and my dd so its pretty hrash coming outta my pocket $$ sucks!!!!!! being as gm dont wanna fix mine i've almost decided totally decided not to even think of buying a new camaro when they come out ....its b.s. something they done so it was cheaper on their pocket to use cheaper glue and later the aftermath hits people that spend there hard earned money and by a car to have somehting happen like this .........im having to pay for plus when one car is totallly flawless and the other is close to it on paint i think its b.s.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Do you know how many Chevy dealers have told me to take my T/A to a Pontiac dealership for service? I'll never fing understand that.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

bs dealership service
Old 04-11-2007, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by 02firehawkk
bs dealership service
x2
Old 04-12-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SOMLS1WS6
Pontiac and all the dealerships near me in Ohio gave me the run around and said they wouldn't fix it because it was over the 3yr 36,000 b.s.

I called the dealership where I bought it new and they fixed with no problem. They said they would only do it because I was original owner, but I think it was mainly because I bought it from them new.

Those warrenties are such b.s. for those of us that keep our cars garaged and dont drive them in bad weather. I had only 15,000 miles on mine but it was over 3 years old. I told Pontiac that this car has seen the same amount of sun that a typical car would see in 6 months. I think mainly heat causes the glue to out gas and create bubbles in the paint.

Long story short I got mine fixed for free after a ton of phone calls and a lot of bitchin.

I don't think it has to do with heat. My car is 10x worse when it came out of storage than when it went in. I'm thinking maybe moisture.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

It's definitely heat/sun because mine are barely noticable in the winter, yet in the summer the whole ******* panel is bubbling and OOZING from driver side to pass side in two straight lines . Two dealers basically told me I was SOL. Mainly the one dealer tried putting it on the fact that my car had been repainted at some point with no dealer record. Luckily, my car is pewter and it somewhat hides it. This **** actually oozes and runs down the side of my car
Old 04-12-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01pewterbird
It's definitely heat/sun because mine are barely noticable in the winter, yet in the summer the whole ******* panel is bubbling and OOZING from driver side to pass side in two straight lines . Two dealers basically told me I was SOL. Mainly the one dealer tried putting it on the fact that my car had been repainted at some point with no dealer record. Luckily, my car is pewter and it somewhat hides it. This **** actually oozes and runs down the side of my car
It is unfortunate that GM doesn't take care of this problem since they created it. Very poor R&D and customer service. Mine too had 2 very visible lines. You could imagine what I felt when I saw this on my otherwise perfect SOM paint. Well at least it was fixed. Now for the million dollar question... the entire roof was replaced and repainted but will this happen again? What was used to repair this problem by the dealer???? Hopefully old glue!!! I want to buy a vette or something in that price range down the road but this left a really bad taste in my mouth and I probably wont.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 01pewterbird
I only had a "wrinkle" around the hatch window before I put it in storage. I know for a fact that is all it had because I remember looking closely and thinking, "I am going to get this looked at in the spring." That was mid-late October.

A few weeks ago when I took it out before all this shitty weather, my sail panel looked like it got goosebumps. My car never saw any sunlight for almost 6 months, and it was a cold winter. So it can't be heat, no way. It's something else, I still say moisture.

Maybe you see them in the summer because in the heat causes condensation. Maybe my car got worse because it's been a wild 6 months. The night I put my car up was the only time it's seen snow, and it was a very light snow. Then it got really cold, got some snow, then it got warm again for almost two months. Maybe between the rain and freezing temps the condensation froze and made bumps under my panel. Mine was oozing when I took the cover off of it.

Last edited by _JB_; 04-12-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by _JB_
I only had a "wrinkle" around the hatch window before I put it in storage. I know for a fact that is all it had because I remember looking closely and thinking, "I am going to get this looked at in the spring." That was mid-late October.

A few weeks ago when I took it out before all this shitty weather, my sail panel looked like it got goosebumps. My car never saw any sunlight for almost 6 months, and it was a cold winter. So it can't be heat, no way. It's something else, I still say moisture.

Maybe you see them in the summer because in the heat causes condensation. Maybe my car got worse because it's been a wild 6 months. The night I put my car up was the only time it's seen snow, and it was a very light snow. Then it got really cold, got some snow, then it got warm again for almost two months. Maybe between the rain and freezing temps the condensation froze and made bumps under my panel. Mine was oozing when I took the cover off of it.
Interesting, I still have to believe it is heat related for sure. My car is in storage now as well, and when I checked it over spring break(and winter break) the bumps were lower than ever(car is under a cover in a garage). And as far as moisture being the issue(which it verry well could be, who the hell knows) my father smokes 2 packs a day opening the door each time, so my garage isn't exactly moisture free. And sun WITHOUT a doubt makes it worse. Not trying to argue with you, just telling my experience with it, which is similar to many others I have read on here.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
they did mine first time, no problem. i printed out the service bulletin off of my computer and took it in and had it in hand just in case, but didn't even need it. the bulletin # is 03-08-98-001A issued Apr 2, 2003. try going back to them with that number and ask if they can replace the whole panel. if yall need anything else, shoot me a pm.

EDIT: o and i have had it installed for almost a year and no problems whatsoever with the new panel!

So all i should have to do is go up to a dealership and say that number to them if they try to say no and that could give my a fighting chance?

Quick Reply: Sail Panel Bubbles