Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Sail Panel Bubbles

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
It applies to both as the TSB (It is NOT a recall) lists how to replace Sail panel for a t-top and hardtop. It will get worse. My car has been garaged kept for 2+ years and they only started appearing last year and by the time I took it into the shop it was really bad. You could see the line of urethane as that is exactly where it started bubbling.

hmm...mine has been kept outside in the weather for the past (almost) 3 years and still no obvious signs of bubbling....hopefully i haven't jinxed myself by saying that

but maybe that's the cause, you guys are trying to take care of your cars TOO good
Old 04-23-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
hmm...mine has been kept outside in the weather for the past (almost) 3 years and still no obvious signs of bubbling....hopefully i haven't jinxed myself by saying that

but maybe that's the cause, you guys are trying to take care of your cars TOO good
I think some cars just don't do it, maybe they didn't use as much glue on the cars that don't. When I was in florida on vacation I went up to every f-bod that was 98 or newer to check for bubbles, and out of 3 none had them. So maybe some take longer to show than others, who knows. All I know is mine has them .
Old 04-23-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

i got my first bubble last weekend :'(
Old 04-23-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine bubbles every summer. However this time the bubbles broke and now there are holes in the paint.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
Mine bubbles every summer. However this time the bubbles broke and now there are holes in the paint.
Hmmmmmm...it is kinda odd because mine appeared after it got really cold here (and now it is getting worse with the heat). I wish I had the energy right now to pursue GM about this problem...
Old 04-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
is this happening only to the t-top cars, or does it affect the hardtops, too? i have a hardtop, and so far have not noticed any obvious bubbling, but i'll take a real close look at it the next time i get a chance, when it's daylight outside.
I have bubbles that are popping, and they keep coming it's like some kind of horrible car acne.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

my bubbles are leaking glue sometimes.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

i have a hardtop,garage kept , the car is flawleess except for 2 places.
the roof, zig zag bubbles in the center where the support is, and then a bunch on both sides right above the windows, and the sail panel is a mess. The bubbles just recently broke open, and are holes in the clearcoat, when its hot out, they ooze like a dirty prostitute.

here the strange part...... i have bubbles in the clear on my drivers side door??????
original owner, and it has never been painted, anyone ever see these on there doors, upper region,kinda of by the mirror?
Old 04-26-2007, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tooslow Z 02
i have a hardtop,garage kept , the car is flawleess except for 2 places.
the roof, zig zag bubbles in the center where the support is, and then a bunch on both sides right above the windows, and the sail panel is a mess. The bubbles just recently broke open, and are holes in the clearcoat, when its hot out, they ooze like a dirty prostitute.

here the strange part...... i have bubbles in the clear on my drivers side door??????
original owner, and it has never been painted, anyone ever see these on there doors, upper region,kinda of by the mirror?
The SLP Hood and spoiler on my SS have some imperfections. The spoiler bubbles have never gotten any worse and showed up at year three. The hood passenger side corner at the window has a few also. Neither have gotten any worse however neither were there when I bought it new. My hardtop mirrors your description though. Rest of the car is totally fine.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep i just bought my new 01 and i could barely see the bubbles when i got it...not even like 2 weeks ago they started to get bad like a good 3 feet on top about 1/3 of the way back more towards the hatch....then there are ones in horizontal about 2 inches above where it starts above the quarter panel on both sides....6 of them have now busted on the top and havnt oozed or any of the **** anyone has talked about yet but definately popped...i went to the dealer and they said that it is just a TSB and that i would have to get it replaced the only way they would think about replacing it for free was if i had REALLY LOW MILES or something of the sort...he printed me out the tsb and tried to hand it to me and i was so pissed so i just told him to shove it up his *** and walked out...a little much but whatever...i want this **** fixed! it looks like *** on a black car they are so noticeable and i am a very tedious car cleaning guy the day my car gets dirty it will be fully hand washed and wheels detailed and if it dosnt get dirty its about once a week anyways
Old 04-30-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly
The SLP Hood and spoiler on my SS have some imperfections. The spoiler bubbles have never gotten any worse and showed up at year three. The hood passenger side corner at the window has a few also. Neither have gotten any worse however neither were there when I bought it new. My hardtop mirrors your description though. Rest of the car is totally fine.
You have a hardtop SS?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 01pewterbird
You have a hardtop SS?
Yup.

NBM hardtop 2000SS with 41K. Sad to say its stock.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Teching In

ya i got bubbles all over mine.. ****** gm bullshit
Old 04-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Teching In

this kinda makes me feel better that this is a common problem. my hardtop 02 has a bunch of popped bubbles and i was just hoping it wasnot a repaired rollover car or sumthin... still sucks *** though
Old 04-30-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly
Yup.

NBM hardtop 2000SS with 41K. Sad to say its stock.
huh, didn't know they made hard top SS's, thought the were all t-tops or verts. Guess thats why I'm a trans am guy...
Old 04-30-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by emnuke
ya i got bubbles all over mine.. ****** gm bullshit
Welcome to fbody world.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Kage
Welcome to fbody world.
Yup, lets not forget to mention the torque dimples, and crack prone TA door panels.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by 01pewterbird
Yup, lets not forget to mention the torque dimples, and crack prone TA door panels.
Well i wouldn't know about TA door panels.

Quick Reply: Sail Panel Bubbles