Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

stripes are cracking...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stripes are cracking...

When I got the car out of winter storage during the spring of 06 my stripes started to crack. Well fast forward a year and they have gotten progressively worse. They are vinyal stripes, but my question is what do you think the paint will look like underneath the stripes if I remove them? I'm afraid the paint will be a different shade of green underneath being that the car rest of the car has might have faded since the car is 8 years old. I want to get some kind of cowl hood eventually so I'm not worried about that, but the stripes extend on the nose and the hatch/spoiler of the car as well. Car looks great from a few feet away, but here are some pics of how nasty the stripes now look.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will show where the stripes used to be. If you do change to a cowl hood you will have to repaint the front cover and the decklid where the stripes were if you do not plan on replacing them. If you have it repainted to remove the stripes, you have to have it stripped all the way down to bare fiberglass (SMC) and bare rubber on the bumpers. If you do not strip it they will show back through again.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my suggestion would be to take them off and restripe it. It would cost a lot less than trying to repaint it all.