Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Should clear be applied soon, or is waiting ok?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 01:07 AM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow. This thread blew up after I quit checking in on it. Here is the deal. I took Tim’s, and I guess transmaro9s’s, advice. Approximately 36 hours later, I sanded the imperfection out of the intake, and a couple I found on the lower air box. Next, I scuffed both with 000 wire wool. I am thinking that may have been a mistake, and I should have used something coarser. Then, I applied another 3 coats of base according to can directions. I waited about 30 minutes, then began applying clear, starting with just a mist. I put 4 or 5 coats of clear on, following can directions. It looked real good. As time passed though, I began to notice slightly opaque or dull blotches appearing. They are not terrible, and require good light and nearness to see, but they are there. Now, from 6’, the pieces look good, but I know something is wrong. Is this the result of poor adhesion because I only used 000 wire wool to scuff the dry base in preparation for the 2nd round of 3 basecoats?

The bright side is my metal engine stuff turned out great. I did all my metal engine stuff in one shot, primer through 5 coats of clear. For this stuff I used Duplicolor Engine Enamel. I allowed ~10 minutes between like coats. I allowed 30-40 minutes between primer and base, and base and clear. No blotches on these parts: shiny.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah u either got poor adhesion or to much clear on at once in certain areas
Old 04-29-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dullness is probably too much clear in too soon a time period. 4-5 coats is a lot. The answer to your other question is 000 steel wool is very fine and is not coarse enough for good adhesion.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:50 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I appreciate the feedback. I took the two plastic pieces outside today so I could view them under good light. There is no doubt I screwed up. That being said, I do not think anyone who sees my engine bay will know. You have to be right up on the pieces and need good light to see it. Therefore, I am going to install the two pieces as is. Hopefully the problem will not get worse.

I do have some questions to fully round out this learning experience.

• What is the best way to deal w/ minor marks made in wet paint: whether primer, base, or clear? In my situation, I brushed the rattle can edge in the wet base, leaving a small mark.
• Are 5 coats of clear a waste?
• If not, how do you apply that much clear while avoiding opaque spots?

I would appreciate any feedback. The more I learn from this experience, the better I will be if I try something like this again. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bsf
I appreciate the feedback. I took the two plastic pieces outside today so I could view them under good light. There is no doubt I screwed up. That being said, I do not think anyone who sees my engine bay will know. You have to be right up on the pieces and need good light to see it. Therefore, I am going to install the two pieces as is. Hopefully the problem will not get worse.

I do have some questions to fully round out this learning experience.

• What is the best way to deal w/ minor marks made in wet paint: whether primer, base, or clear? In my situation, I brushed the rattle can edge in the wet base, leaving a small mark.
• Are 5 coats of clear a waste?
• If not, how do you apply that much clear while avoiding opaque spots?

I would appreciate any feedback. The more I learn from this experience, the better I will be if I try something like this again. Thanks.
well, this what what i would do... for your first question... if its just a small mark, you can take some light wax and grease remover (paint substrate cleaner) and some sand paper maybe 1000 grit and sand in one direction only till it comes out and then clean and rebase... for you second question yes 5 coats is a bit much... with normal clear applications out of a gun we do ony 2 coats and then a wetsand and buff so really about 1/2 to maybe the whole second coat is removed depending on the painter and how good he is... another probably with can clear is that its almost like a laquer job so its not going to be as shiny as you think and comming out of an aerisol can is very inconsistant so its kinda hard to get it perfect... hope this helps ya out...