Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Questions to ask body shop before deciding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions to ask body shop before deciding?

Someone keyed my show truck and I am trying to figure out what to do because the dealer wants me to use them and I wasn't real happy with the owners responses to my concerns.

He says when I ask about overspray on the truck and covering even the wheels he says they do the best they can and shows me this thin looking clear wrap that looks like saran wrap. Is that what all the shops use? I noticed on the cars in the shop they weren't covered up 100% as far as tires.

Also he says he is going to paint the spot and clear the entire door but when you clear the door it may make the color change and not match the fender. What should he do?

I don't know what to say to these shops except tell them what I expect but this guy says he does quality work but since the paint is old there is always that chance that it won't match. The paint is in great shape because I do show it. Aren't they suppose to be able to match the paint? This is 2007. Ha! It is white GM if you need to know.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Keep shopping for a bodyshop until you find one that can accomodate you. Just because they say that it is the best they can do does not mean that it is the best available. A good painter/prepper will mask the entire wheel opening so as not to get overspray on the wheelhouse/splashsields and suspension etc. As far as the paint being old and not matching that is a pretty lame excuse. It can always be blended into adjacent panels and clearcoated to match. The only way the clear should make any noticeable difference is if it did not have any clear to start with or the clear is worn and faded and needs buffed or repainted anyway. Yes it is 2007 but that does not mean that all body shops are in 2007, a lot of them are still stuck in 1977. I hope this helps and if there are any other questions there are a couple of able people on this site that can assist you.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:34 AM
On The Tree

it being a new truck i dont see why they are not blending the paint, i know at our shop thats what we do at our shop.. i would tell that body shop owner to go jump off a cliff. oh and there should be no prob matching that paint wa8624 is usally a real good color to match..
Old 05-07-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevygirl
Someone keyed my show truck and I am trying to figure out what to do because the dealer wants me to use them and I wasn't real happy with the owners responses to my concerns.

He says when I ask about overspray on the truck and covering even the wheels he says they do the best they can and shows me this thin looking clear wrap that looks like saran wrap. Is that what all the shops use? I noticed on the cars in the shop they weren't covered up 100% as far as tires.

Also he says he is going to paint the spot and clear the entire door but when you clear the door it may make the color change and not match the fender. What should he do?

I don't know what to say to these shops except tell them what I expect but this guy says he does quality work but since the paint is old there is always that chance that it won't match. The paint is in great shape because I do show it. Aren't they suppose to be able to match the paint? This is 2007. Ha! It is white GM if you need to know.
I would be real picky about which shop you go to I just got my car back on Friday.My car was @ the body shop for 2 months,for a pass side door and fender.They put my car on the back burner and made me wait.So make sure where ever you go they have a spray booth so they will have no trouble blending and they give you a date when your ride will be ready.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Teching In

The paint job, and body work should always be as good or better then factory. There should be no signs that it was ever worked on. That is how all of our accounts are. Your the customer. Find a shop that you think is going to make you happy and then let them know your very picky and want it perfect..

Quick Reply: Questions to ask body shop before deciding?