Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need info about sanding off stripes!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info about sanding off stripes!

only the nose on my lt1 has 2 painted stripes on it. the whole nose it self is it crappy shape paint wise and id like to get it repainted.

so what do i need to buy to effectively sand off the stripes and the rest of the nose so that Maaco and just shoot the paint on and not have to sand it (saving me money)

i also need a hood and spoiler taken from red to black.

what are the proper grits to go at it with? i dont want to mess it up but i dont think maaco really does that great of a job in the 1st place. So if i can learn how to sand the pieces myself i might save myself money.

and if im taking something from red to black do i need to sand all the red off or just do a good job of scuffing the red to make the black stick over it?
Old 05-13-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the are painted on , which it sounds like they are, I would not try to sand the entire stripe off. Probably end up with a lot more work than necessary. Just sand off any ridge, if one is there, between the stripe and the rest of the hood and then start feathering in to smooth out the transistion. But a few different grits and use them all wet. I'd start with probably around 320 or 400 wet and progress out to 1000 or so until it's all feathered and smooth and then probably go back over then entire hood with 600 wet for an even block.

Bryan