Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How to paint bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to paint bumper

I'm going to paint the underside of my front bumper by using masking tape to do just the underside. I don't mind a line as there are already spider cracks on the top part. I've done bodywork before but want to know what to fill in the damaged portions where the white plastic is? Also, do I need special bumper primer? Because this is a frequently vulnerable spot, I'll probably have to do this in the future, which is why I'm doing it myself. Here is a photo of the damage (it was raining when I took the photo):

Last edited by HotRodNeil; 05-19-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Well if you dont mind a line and you want to do it on the car tape it, then get some 80grt and sand down the scratches get some polyflex putty and fill in the scratches then block sand the putty and you can use any primer surfacer with like 10% flex or get some flexible primer, but its really the same thing. then block sand the primer and spray your base then clear. If you end up going all the way down to the plastic you will need to use an adhesion promoter before you put your primer i recoment bulldog let it flash for at least 15min then apply the primer wet on wet and that way you dont have to add flex to the primer because the bulldog already has it.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Well if you dont mind a line and you want to do it on the car tape it, then get some 80grt and sand down the scratches get some polyflex putty and fill in the scratches then block sand the putty and you can use any primer surfacer with like 10% flex or get some flexible primer, but its really the same thing. then block sand the primer and spray your base then clear. If you end up going all the way down to the plastic you will need to use an adhesion promoter before you put your primer i recoment bulldog let it flash for at least 15min then apply the primer wet on wet and that way you dont have to add flex to the primer because the bulldog already has it.
Can I use regular car paint, like Plastikote or Duplicolor? I can't see removing the bumper for this, as it's only noticeable when you lie on the ground. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-20-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

yeah basecoat is really flexible and what would give it a bit more flex is adding 10 percent of the catalyst you are going to use for your clear to your basecoat reducer mix. By regular car paint you do mean automotive paint out of a quart or pint or something like that, not no rattle can right?
Old 05-20-2007, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

yeah basecoat is really flexible and what would give it a bit more flex is adding 10 percent of the catalyst you are going to use for your clear to your basecoat reducer mix. By regular car paint you do mean automotive paint out of a quart or pint or something like that, not no rattle can right?
I was going to use regular store bought rattle can paint. I could, if absolutely necessary, take it to a shop, but the cost will be much higher. I don't have a compressor that big.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

I would not put rattle can on my car. It will not last long at all and will look totally different once its on there for a while because non automotive clears do not have the uv protection and are more pourous therefore get weathered faster and they end up looking dull. what size is your compressor? They sell mini guns that are about 50$ and work pretty good for what you want to do. Thats what i would recomend and to buy some paint with your paint code at your local automotive paint store they can mix just a pint of half a pint just tell them what you want and they should be able to do that. And just buy a quart of clear and that will be also like 50$ with catalyst and all. It will last you just as long as the rest of the car and you will have some left over for future applications.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

I would not put rattle can on my car. It will not last long at all and will look totally different once its on there for a while because non automotive clears do not have the uv protection and are more pourous therefore get weathered faster and they end up looking dull. what size is your compressor? They sell mini guns that are about 50$ and work pretty good for what you want to do. Thats what i would recomend and to buy some paint with your paint code at your local automotive paint store they can mix just a pint of half a pint just tell them what you want and they should be able to do that. And just buy a quart of clear and that will be also like 50$ with catalyst and all. It will last you just as long as the rest of the car and you will have some left over for future applications.
Good idea, it might work.

Quick Reply: How to paint bumper