Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

What kind & where to get it??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default What kind & where to get it??

Hey guys i need to know where i can get some paint for my truck. i dont know any name brands except for House of Kolor & PPG and they are expensive, i need a kind of cheap but not too cheap paint. this is going to be a custom paint job so i need some good paint that dont cost an arm and a leg. so please let me know a website to look on. thanks
Old 05-24-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know websights but for good paint i think PPG is about the cheapest good paint around... you can go with sherwin williams or RM products but they are kinda second rate... HOK, SIKKENS, DUPONT, PPG... those are really the big 4 for good paint supplies...
Old 05-25-2007, 03:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

maybe some of that Matrix stuff, but if you want it to look good then go with HOK or Dupont Hot Hues.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Sikkens is a little pricey so is PPG Dupont is alright if you don't mind. If you want great then Sikkens is the one.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

yeah the only way you are going to get a good custom kolor paintjob is by paying the money. If you take the cheap stuff it will look cheap or will not hold up to time. Plus taping and all the good stuff that comes with custom painting is better done on good paint.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by transmaro93
i dont know websights but for good paint i think PPG is about the cheapest good paint around... you can go with sherwin williams or RM products but they are kinda second rate... HOK, SIKKENS, DUPONT, PPG... those are really the big 4 for good paint supplies...

I could not disagree more with the statement that Sherwin Williams and especially RM is second rate paint. RM Diamont is some of the best around it just isn't as big a name as some of the others. I have a 1965 fully restored Mustang that I painted with RM Diamont(a BASF product by the way) and finished with Glasurit Clear, that I will stack up against any HOK, Dupont or PPG paint job.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 05-25-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i would admit that im not to familiar with RM's product line... i was just going by that fact that there are some second rate shops around ehre that use that stuff and sherwin williams and there work looks like ****.... but i mean im sure you can make a good job with it and you can make a good job with sherwin williams too... but how durable the paint is and just the quality youll prob have a harder time doing soo...
Old 05-25-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Durability is the key how long will it hold up? Hok has twice the uv protector in the clear and the pigment is awesome i could say the same about sikkens. The clears look wet like if they are freshly sprayed little buffing is needed if any at all. Lesonol is also made by akzo nobel the same company that makes sikkens it a little less expensive and has the same quality as sikkens with the exception of sikkens color build undercoat system.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

My buddy that owns a body shop does all his custom paint jobs with Omni paint. It is made by PPG and its alot cheaper then PPG, u should check on it.