Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Mysterious cracks, dents, scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

happens to everybody the problem is no one gives a **** about other peoples things
Old 11-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Teching In

I find stuff all the time on my 99 firehawk. Problem is my fault I guess because while I baby it to hell I drive it as often as possible.

Today though I was going out for a cruise since it got up to about 70 today and while I was walking around the back I noticed a black patch on my bumper. I thought it was just mud or perhaps even burnt tire that'd go away with a quick brush/wash but it seems doing that took a bigger chunk off. It looks like someone smacked my bumperj ust enough to tear the paint and I basically peeled some off while trying to wipe it away.

I didn't buy the car for it to sit in the garage so I've grown to expect the little chips on the hood or around the front from rocks and stuff but this isn't related to that and I'm pretty aggrivated.

You're not alone, that's for sure, but what can you do. I won't daily drive the hawk next year it'll be more a weekend car so I do plan to have it repainted but in the mean time .. just yell in your head and suck it up I guess.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If your car is as scratched up and dinged up as mine you don't really notice another scratch

Ah well, that was one of the reasons why I got it cheap.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

cool, guess ill try that. though, off subject, my day got better because my ported tb came in from ebay and it looks better than i expected, especially for $60.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

while waxing my car this week I found a nice foot long scuff under the molding on the driverside door

On another note, anyone ever catch anyone in the act of damaging your car? I'd go absolutely crazy
Old 11-29-2007, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

yea man I feel ya. I had a door with a crack just painted over, then some kids punched my car, people throwing shopping carts at my car, rock chips are the worst too. Every ******* time I was it, something new And body work is the most expensive "mod" too!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

j/w you all saw everytime ya wash it you notice new stuff i have the same problem but when i notice new stuff its like 1 to 4 inch scratches nothing major ya kinda have to be close to see and can be covered a few days w/ a good wax. wondering if anyone else has the problem that bad n i mean i see new scratches ALL THE TIME i mean like all over ESPECIALLY on the top of my hatch the painted part. only asking b/c im getting ready to have the car painted and wanna know if i should expect this or its my own fault, i do live on a gravel road (but figure that would be more chips not scratches) like i and i wash my car w/ dishwashing liquid (probablly not good) and usually wax twice a month. any info guys
Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kcsov6
i notice new stuff its like 1 to 4 inch scratches nothing major ya kinda have to be close to see and can be covered a few days w/ a good wax. wondering if anyone else has the problem that bad n i mean i see new scratches ALL THE TIME i mean like all over ESPECIALLY on the top of my hatch the painted part. only asking b/c im getting ready to have the car painted and wanna know if i should expect this or its my own fault, i do live on a gravel road (but figure that would be more chips not scratches) like i and i wash my car w/ dishwashing liquid (probablly not good) and usually wax twice a month. any info guys

OMG....dishwashing liquid is the WORST thing to use!! It removes wax/polishes and you only use that if you're going to apply something like Zaino and only once...never again! You are right in your assumption that the scratches you see are from you not taking proper care of your car's finish. It's most likely what's referred to as "spider webbing"..tiny swirl like scratches. I can't imagine what "wax" you're using either . I HIGHLY recommend Zaino after your new paint cures for 60-90 days. Do not apply any polishes or waxes before that. They should tell you that anyway.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the help first stop tomorow will be to pick up some kind of car wash stuff. any preference? car will be painted in january. and the wax was meguiars cleaner wax or something. but again thanks for the help no more dishwashing liquid here any suggestion on like what to use for washign the car as far as like specific liquids for washing the car and also like what to apply it w/ like a car wash mitt or what
Old 12-04-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cleaner wax you mentioned isn't for protection...its just for what it says "cleaning". It's basically a very mild rubbing compound. I would suggest using Zaino products. He has a lot of useful info on his website. I've been using his products since 1999 and love it....nothing I've found is better.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

You should start out with:

Z-7 Show Car Wash

Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes

Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray

Those 3 are the basic and all you'd need since it's going to be new paint
Old 01-04-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

People suck. Nobody has respect for other peoples stuff. I actually take care opening my door near other peoples car. I will gently rest the door on their car if its that tight.

When I got my car about 3 years ago. It maybe had 1 door ding in it. Now I get sick everytime I walk to my car and catch it at a certain angle. I probly have 15 ding/dents between both of my rear quarter panels. I cant even keep track of them anymore. I always park near the back of parking lots. And EVERYTIME I come out some ahole is parked next to my car when there are 12 empty spots in each direction. Ive been very tempted to kick their side mirror off and roll out.

Rock chips dont bother me, its normal driving wear and tear. Nobody should have to put up with door dents. I wish I could make some kind of side mirror camera system so I can catch these people and take them to court.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:11 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I came outside one day to load some parts into my car before my friend came to pick it up on his trailer and found this. It was either my neighbor's lawn service people or my other neighbor who no longer lives there because he's a useless sack of ****. Someone hit it with something and dipped. I was and still am pissed.

EDIT: From what I've read to is you can't get mystic teal paint from GM anymore. That makes it even worse. How would you paint an area like that? Would you have to repaint the whole quarter panel?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:13 AM
Banned

damn man, i'd be going on a rampage if that was mine. im sure an autobody shop can do color matching and just sand it down around the area and repaint. good luck
Old 01-05-2008, 08:33 AM
12 Second Club

Default car

Thats why I invested in a slingshot it cures most problems like cats, racoons, neighborhood kids, and stupid adults. and if you stick a couple BB's in there you can take out a group. My life is much more simple now people know if they mess with me or my **** they are going to get pelted

Quick Reply: Mysterious cracks, dents, scratches?