Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting my metal Firehawk vent/grill pieces..

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007 | 07:27 PM
Launching!

Default Painting my metal Firehawk vent/grill pieces..

Has anyone done this? The previous owner of my firehawk painted the ram air grills/vents red, and I wanted to go back to the original black. I removed all the hood pieces, then removed all the paint down to the metal and tried painting them, but they came out bad. They are really bumpy and have already chipped a little.. Since I havent even got them on the car yet, I feel like I missed a step or somthing.

I cleaned them, sprayed on 2-3 coats of adhesion promoter and then probably about eight coats of black paint..

I have a clear coat but havent put it on yet and I'm not sure if I need to be sanding before the clear coat or after or if I should even be sanding anything at all.

The only thing I can think of is that I used the wrong primer. The adhesion promoter primer was clear.. I also have another type of primer that is thick and gray (can't remember the name) that I was going to use to fix a somewhat sizeable paint chip on my headlight cover.. The way these pieces turned out, I might just have pro fix the headlight.

Please help,
Ry
Old 06-13-2007 | 12:45 PM
Launching!

no one has painted their inserts?