Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint experts--take a look at this........

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paint experts--take a look at this........

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Some loser must've airbrushed over a scratch and now the little scratch looks 100 times worse because now there is a big area that you can tell has been painted and it looks like crap.

If I had the door clear coated, would that blend in the edges of where it was air brushed?

It looks like ****

Old 06-26-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats not sombody that airbrushed over a scratch... that looks like the car was painted and they did a bad blend job with the color and or clear and its ither just a bad color blend edge... or the clear is peeling back from it... can you feel the edge when you touch it or is it compleatly smooth... i dont think there is anything you can do to fix it at lease i cant think of a way.. i work in a body shop so ill try to help ya out with figuring it out... theres a couple of guys with more experience than me, that might know exactly what that is on here...
Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

I'm pretty sure just that one spot was painted. The rest of the door has a nice finish but that one spot has some dirt spots in it and a lot of orange peel. I cant feel the edges and it's not peeling.

I waxed it today after I took the pics and it's much less noticeable, but I'm sure that after a couple of days it'll reappear. I tried buffing it too but that didn't work.

I was thinking that if the whole panel was cleared that it'd hide the foggy edges of that spot kind of like the wax did, but I don't know for sure.....just guessing.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

yeah its more then likely a bad blend job. the only way i can think of to fix it is possibly a really good buffin job but doubtfull. you will prolly have to have that spot painted and then clear the whole door or it will prolly come back. who painted that spot, go talk to them and see waht they did.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It could be a repair area bleeding through as well, but if you say the finish is inconsistent, then it's probably a spot repair. That's a pretty ghetto thing to do to a car where none of the panels are very large and all have a clean break off point.
Re-clearing it will help, but to make it perfect it will need to be sanded smooth and new base blanded over top of it before re-clearing.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First off guys, i can blend half way though a door, and you would never ever notice, the one in the pic was just done the wrong way, and p.s if he just puts color on the door, it will be extremly doubtful it will match the quarter/ fender.

Guys, ive been doing professinal paint work for years on ferraris, porsches, and pebble beach winners. When painting a car IN A REPAIR SHOP that say has a dent in the front of the fender, you repair the front of the fender, prime it, sand with 400-600, and then sand the rest of the fender with 1000+, and it will match perfect if the guy mixing the paint looked at his variances, and did a few test sprays

Now, when talking about blending paint, it looks to me as the painter there didnt use enough blending addiative, he didnt rub it out the right way ( you have to know how to rub out blends the right way to not see where you sprayed) and he didnt go to the rear edge of the door which would have made it easier to conceal. basically, he just put a huge splotch in the middle of a door, thats the wrong way but it can be saved.

Killa, your pics are really blury, first off, did you pay for this or buy the car that way? Im assuming you got the car that way or you would have taken it back to the shop, if you didnt, do that and tell them they suck, and to never paint again. Having the job have dirt in it further makes it a shittty job. What have you tried to make it look better besides wax? Any rubbing compound? Heres what you do first, get some regular rubbing compound, and rub a small spot on where he painted, if it comes off body color, just stop right there and save for a repaint, because you will just make it worse at this point. If it doesnt and rub side to side making sure you get the painted, and unpainted areas, try to put some speed into the rub to heat up the clear and make it disappear, and check how it looks frequently. If you can make it better, get some imperial hand glaze, and rub the whole door with it, mind you these two products arent like wax, you dont put them on and wait to get hard, you rub into the paint and thats it. the hand glaze will make the blend marks and scratches further go away. and then you can seal it up with some wax.

Now if that doesnt work and you have to get it painted heres how you can save yourself some money. Get 1000 grit sand paper, and a 3m flexable rubber squeegie, a bucket of warm water with some dish soap in it, and some tape. Tape off the edges of the door because its to easy for a newbie to burn through them. Then clean the door off first with the dish soap to strip wax, junk, dirt, so on. then sand the door, side to side long ways, untill its dulled up, again, dont go crazy, you just need enough to have uniform smooth finish, then take the door handle, mirror, trim off, and drop it off to get sprayed, by the looks of it, you dont need color on the whole door since it seems the repair is actually ontop of the door clear, so that will save you money/ time from blending the fender and quarter if you dont mind having a shiner door.

Hope this helps , good luck
Old 06-26-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Blending the clearcoat off within the panel will not work. On the tapered edge where the clear is blended off it is much thinner. As the clearcoat gets thinner it looses its UV protection and starts to break down on the thinnest part producing the line you see. Yes you can make it look virtually undetectable for a matter of time but it will come back again. It is not a matter of if it will come back it is a matter of when. All major paint manufactures will not warranty this procedure, because they know it does not work for a long term repair. I am also pretty sure most car manufactures do not reccomend this procedure either. If you want it fixed right get it repainted and be done with it. Sorry this was probably not what you wanted to hear. Good luck