Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Waxing new paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007 | 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Waxing new paint

I just got my car back from the paint shop this past Friday, they said to wait 30 days to wax it, what do you guys think about that? And what kind should I use the first time around?
Old 07-16-2007 | 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

Zaino is safe for fresh paint- anything else I wouldn't risk it
Old 07-16-2007 | 10:22 PM
Launching!

Just don't risk it. I'd drive another car and garage that one if you can... a little patience and discipline might keep you from messing up your paint, if that's possible.
Old 07-16-2007 | 10:41 PM
Scammer Alert!

When we switched paint lines from RM-Diamont to Akzo Noble/Sikkens, i have always heard of waiting at least a month before waxing, only makes sense as solvents are still escaping and by waxing what your doing is sealing the paint thus leaving solvents trapped, causing dullness/haze, sometimes even popping, but anyway, our akzo noble rep told me that there paint is safe right after the bake cycle to wax, i paint for a living and we have had axzo noble for over 2 years and not a single car has come back due to paint hazing or dulling and after every paint job we wax with meguires, so maybe akzo noble has a superior paint line.
Old 07-16-2007 | 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm planning on waiting, but I have to drive the car. I've always used Megiuars, but was thinking about trying out Tropi-care. Should I use a polish/sealant and then carnuba, or just a coat or two of carnuba the first time I do it?
Old 07-16-2007 | 10:57 PM
Scammer Alert!

you can never go wrong playing it safe, i would say just the carnuba, really doesnt matter, i mean any type of wax-polish is going to act as a sealant you know, id just go with some carnuba
Old 07-17-2007 | 05:56 AM
Teching In

i would wait if they told you too.the topcoat is the main concern. Clearoat is porous and dries from the inside out. When its baked for a few hours after being sprayed it is nearly cured afterwards, if not the clear takes a while to fully cure. When you wax it or use any type of silicone that wont wash off with water it clogs the pores so it will not become a solid surface like it should, and like someone said will seal in the solvents that are trying to escape, if they told you to wait they probably didnt have a bake booth and you should wait to wax, or wash the car. you can wash the car with plain water all you want, just dont use any soap or wax for the alloted time. clear takes up to 90 days to fully cure. keep the car in the sun if you can cause the heat helps it cure faster. i tell my customers(cause we dont have a bake booth) to keep the car in the sun during the day cause the metal can get well above 175 degress, wash it with water, put it back in the garage and do the same thing whenever they can for as many days before they wax it for the first time.
Old 07-17-2007 | 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I already washed it with soap. The guy that did the work told me I could wash it all I wanted but to wait to wax it. I'm going to wait, I just was curious to hear what others thought.
Old 07-22-2007 | 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
i would wait if they told you too.the topcoat is the main concern. Clearoat is porous and dries from the inside out. When its baked for a few hours after being sprayed it is nearly cured afterwards, if not the clear takes a while to fully cure. When you wax it or use any type of silicone that wont wash off with water it clogs the pores so it will not become a solid surface like it should, and like someone said will seal in the solvents that are trying to escape, if they told you to wait they probably didnt have a bake booth and you should wait to wax, or wash the car. you can wash the car with plain water all you want, just dont use any soap or wax for the alloted time. clear takes up to 90 days to fully cure. keep the car in the sun if you can cause the heat helps it cure faster. i tell my customers(cause we dont have a bake booth) to keep the car in the sun during the day cause the metal can get well above 175 degress, wash it with water, put it back in the garage and do the same thing whenever they can for as many days before they wax it for the first time.

agree with above,no bake>no wax for at least 30 days,baked>wax away
Old 07-22-2007 | 01:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I always tell my customer 120 days just to play it safe. It probably would not hurt anything, but why take a chance.
Old 07-22-2007 | 02:14 AM
On The Tree

I waited three months and then waxed away like I usually do about twice a month. The first time I was told to wax away and it hazed. It's new paint, it's shiny already just wait!