Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Swirls after paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swirls after paint

I just got my car back after getting both rear quarters and rear bumper painted. I know they wet sanded and buffed those areas but they must have detailed the whole car because it seems like there are a ton of swirls now everywhere. I know I need to wait a little while before waxing. Is there anything else I can do?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

u can repolish it and use swirlremover and then hand glaze it... what color is the car... you just dont want to use any thing that will seal off the paint for a couple months... waxes and anthing silicone based... u can call them and find out if they buffed the whole car... i highly doubt that though unless you paid for it.... insurance companies cirtainly dont pay for a full buff...
Old 07-20-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transmaro93
u can repolish it and use swirlremover and then hand glaze it... what color is the car... you just dont want to use any thing that will seal off the paint for a couple months... waxes and anthing silicone based... u can call them and find out if they buffed the whole car... i highly doubt that though unless you paid for it.... insurance companies cirtainly dont pay for a full buff...
Thanks, so using polish and swirl remover will be okay on the freshly painted areas? I was thinking of using Tropicare or Meguiars, not sure if they are silicone based. Also, should I only do it by hand? My car is black.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

agree with 93,

Yes using swirl remover and glaze on the painted areas will be fine, doing it by hand usally works the best vs buffer(which caused the swirls in the fist place, due to lack of experience or time ,etc.)
Old 07-21-2007, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea ^^^^ hes right.... you have to be really good not to get swirls wiht a machine buffer on black paint... nearly impossible... if iwas you and you want it to look really good... id go get some kind of a orbital polisher... if there is no scratches that need to be buffed... using an orbital will work really well to help remove the swirls... but the glaze you always apply by hand...
Old 07-21-2007, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

use cooking oil it will get rid of all marks in the paint
Old 07-21-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys! I will probably try it by hand first since I don't have any experience with a buffer. Also, are the Meguiars or Tropicare products good for something like this?
Old 07-21-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

I bought the Tropicare Porter Cable package along with a few other bits from them. The 3M compound / yellow pad combination takes buffer swirls out easily (and I'd say safely). I used it after rotary buffing my newly painted hood (used a Makita buffer with the wool pad and 3M compound). The TC-8 and orange pad combination brings that to a very clear shine. I used this {3M/Yellow, then TC-8/Orange} all over on my black '94Z and it's never looked so good.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im not sure if tropicare products are sealants you have to contact them to make sure....

Quick Reply: Swirls after paint