Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

SOM stripes on black z/28 w/ ss hood/spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 02:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SOM stripes on black z/28 w/ ss hood/spoiler

I am thinking about painting sunset orange racing stripes on my 97 z/28. It is getting some body work and ss hood/ss spoiler. I am thinking if itd be a good idea to paint it into the paint or just use vinyls?

How hard would it be to paint stripes on my 2nd car im painting. I have only done a one tone paint job. Do you think i can make it look perfect and will it look good?

I am thinking this is how to do it:
-prime as necessary
-spray stripe areas freehand with Sunset Orange (is this paint any different to paint with that other paints?)
-Lay vinyl overlays on hood, spoiler , and rear hatch.
-Paint entire car with black basecoat.
-dry then peel vinyls.
-(should i wetsand here or something?)
-paint with clearcoat as normal

Any tips on making sure idont mess up?

Here's a quick photoshop, if anyone can make a better one, feel free.

Also, what is a good paint code to use, should i just use the 85/55 or do they have better looking blacks?

Do you think i could do 35th stripes or would that be too hard?

Last edited by pHEnomIC; 07-26-2007 at 03:07 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to be honest i thing orange stands out to much and i dont think it looks great and reminds me of halloween but thats must my opinion here. i would do red, or like how im doing on my quasar blue camaro, im putting the same stripes but im using red pearl so they will be like ghost stripes, just to give it a custom touch, then im doing the same with the grand sport stripes on the fender. as for getting our stripes, lay the stripes down mask around it, pull the viynl off and just paint them. then clear the car. then wetsand everything flat so your paint looks like glass and buff it. u need anymore info email me at glowstickkid911@aol.com
Old 08-01-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the concept, and it will look much better than the photoshop if done right. But, only you can decide if you are ready to do something like that yet.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

There used to be a guy that lived one town away from me that did mysitc racing stripes on his black Ws6. I have to say it looked bad ***. I think the SOM will look just as good as that did