Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Would it take much to fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Would it take much to fix this?

Just bought the car and there was some paint missing on the passenger side fender well. The previous owner said he bought it this way. What would cause this to happen? Anyone else had problems with paint peeling off? Also, would it be too expensive to fix this? There is some red paint on the inside of the fender well and that makes me wonder if it has been repainted before. The driver side fender has been replaced but this one supposedly has not been. I ran a carfax on it and the drivers side fix showed up but nothing else did. Thanks all.

Last edited by RedRocketZ28; 08-06-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id bet it is an aftermarket fender. most come with a black sealer that guys just "scuff and shoot".it dont mean much. at the very most could remove it and strip and repaint it. or jus leave it on and do it. painting is not the easiest to do if your new to it. it usually requires equipment and materials you will only use once(paintgun,compressor,hoses, filter and chemicals etc.). if it really bothers you get an estimate. it might not had showed up in carfax cuz it wasnt paid for by an insurance company. the guy had a buddy do it and paid out of pocket. stones chipped the paint and now its delaminating because the panel wasnt primed and prepped properly. not a bigdeal....get it fixed when you have extra loot.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:41 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the reply. It is in a spot that isn't too noticeable anyway. I am going to get an estimate and hopefully it wont cost too much. I would rather just have someone shoot it quick and call it good. It wouldn't have to be perfect anyway. Doubt too many people would notice.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

if you had a friend that works in a shop he could probablly use their spray booth. i will agree with smallblockhero though that it is hard at first. plus just the things u need to make the paint job come out nice cost lots of money. get a quote the most i can see happening is a blend on the door or hood which wont be much extra.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

My car did that exact same thing from the factory...
Old 08-11-2007, 05:24 PM
9 Second Club

To anyone that cares...I took my car to a good paint shop here and the quoted me $175 to sand down and paint the area. They are going to just blend it. It should look pretty good. They are a well known shop that always has nice cars sitting out front. They are also going to go around and touch up all the chips and things all over the car. Total cost will be around $330. I don't think that is too bad. Any opinions? Thanks
Old 08-11-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

330 seems pretty free.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

i would hope that they do a good job for 300. blending can sometimes be a pain in the ***... but good luck
Old 08-14-2007, 04:48 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by chromeplated500
i would hope that they do a good job for 300. blending can sometimes be a pain in the ***... but good luck
So that is too much? I thought that was pretty fair for painting the fender and touching up all the chips and stuff. Anything will look better than it does now.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:48 AM
9 Second Club

So I was toying with the idea of getting some rattle can paint to temporarily mask the problem. I wont be getting it fixed until next spring. Could I just spray some rattle can on there and call it good? Any steps I would need to take? I just want it to look better than it does now. Any opinions?
Old 08-25-2007, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
So that is too much? I thought that was pretty fair for painting the fender and touching up all the chips and stuff. Anything will look better than it does now.
i think he is saying that is cheap, and he hopes that the quality is there for it being that cheap
Old 08-25-2007, 02:08 PM
9 Second Club

Also, the fender will need to be redone. There is chipping elsewhere on it. Whoever painted it before did a terrible job. It will need to be stripped and the whole works.

Any thoughts on temporarily fixing it with a spray can? I just want it to look better than it does now.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Also, the fender will need to be redone. There is chipping elsewhere on it. Whoever painted it before did a terrible job. It will need to be stripped and the whole works.

Any thoughts on temporarily fixing it with a spray can? I just want it to look better than it does now.
i smashed my fender in on the honda, and we pulled it out and repainted about half the fender with a rattle can, and from 10 feet away you can see the ripples from pounding it out(big dent) but the paint matches up fine, and has held up a couple years already
Old 08-25-2007, 04:06 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the help. Would I need to clear coat it as well or just spray it on? What about sanding or anything like that? I was hoping to just spray it on there to cover up the black. I would obviously tape everything off as well. I just want to mask the problem until I can afford to get it fixed right. I am throwing some power adder mods at it while it is sleeping for the winter. Right now that is more important to me than getting this spot fixed, haha. Then it will get professional done in the spring. I will have plenty of money then.

Quick Reply: Would it take much to fix this?