Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

SS Hood on a Z28

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question SS Hood on a Z28

I'm going to put an SS hood on my 2000 Z28. GM wants way too much for there's, I was quoted $1600.00. I was wondering if anyone has done this? I have a few questions I would like some help on.

1. What kind and where to purchase.

2. How was the quality and fit; I want a "bolt on hood".

3. How much was it?

4. Did you make the cold air functional?

Thanks.
Greg
Old 08-18-2007, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ordered a ss hood from slp. It cost a little over a 1000 and had it shipped to my paint and body shop. It is a composite hood not a fiberglass. fit was near perfect just had to lower headlights a bit for a flush fit. i think you could make it functional but i did not
Old 08-19-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I purchased a used factory SS hood from a fellow member of LS1tech last year for 400.00. The fit of the hood was perfect but every hood will need some fine tuning. In my case I had to mess with the height of one of the fenders to get everything lined up correctly. If it is a factory SS hood the scoop is already functional but I don't think it adds any HP at least not anything I could feel.

My SS hood did have a lot of paint on it and it cost me a good bit to have that sanded down and matched to my car. I also had the front bumber painted and the sail panel replaced. My total for all the labor and the paint was 1500.00 but I had a buddy do it and I'm guessing it would have cost 2k+ retail.

Mine came out looking outstanding...

BEFORE:

AFTER:

There were a few spots on my camera lens when I took this but you get the idea...
Old 08-19-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

1. Purchased from Cross Canada Parts

2.i bought an aftermarket fiberglass SS hood and i was not impressed with the quality. It was really really light, but its flimsy and you cannot even use the z28 hood shocks to hold it up because the hood wont even close, it will just crack in half. Thre front edges of the hood stick up slighty from the headlights but not horribly. I am worried about it flying up driving at highway speeds. Nonetheless save up some money and get a good quality SS hood, such as SLP or one from GM because you will regret it later and you get what you pay for. Just my experience, hope this helps!

3. Payed $800 Canadian shipped to my door

4. Came Cold air functional
Old 08-20-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

The factory SS hood was made by SLP not GM.....If you buy an SS hood from GM they are just buying it from SLP and marking it up. Just to be clear..
Old 08-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I think a used one or an SLP is the route to go. The aftermarket ones are hit or miss, and miss is no fun.
The blue 02 hood turned out nice! Hopefully a red one will look as good on my 00.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What's the average cost to have a bodyshop line the hood up for you if it's already installed? Mine isn't lined up worth **** and it bothers the hell out of me. I want to have a bodyshop work with it to try to line it up but not if it's going to cost a bunch of money just for them to tinker with it.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kalgorn
What's the average cost to have a bodyshop line the hood up for you if it's already installed? Mine isn't lined up worth **** and it bothers the hell out of me. I want to have a bodyshop work with it to try to line it up but not if it's going to cost a bunch of money just for them to tinker with it.
I'm guessing less than 100.00. It's not time intensive to someone who knows what they are doing. I messed with mine for an hour but didn't want to mess with the fender height.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Save some money and fit the hood yourself. It really isn't all that hard, it might just take a while to get it to fit okay.

Other than that SLP is the cheapest way to go for a brand new OEM SS hood. I think they offer it for a little over $1k. You may also want to look for a used OEM hood. THey usually go from anywhere in the $400-$800 range.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Any tips on fitting the hood? Can some of the bolts holes on the hinges be slotted or rouned more to help lower the hood in the rear?
Old 08-24-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

In case you care, I answered a thread some time ago on how I fit my aftermarket hood. It has pictures et al. I had to lower one headlight to get mine to fit as well as elongate holes in the hinge brackets. It takes time and trials and seems like it will never be right but eventually you can have consistent clearance all around and near factory height match to the fenders. All Money spent was approximately $750, this includes a decent paint job top and bottom - almost show.

The best reason to open the hood scoop is so air can enter the engine compartment for cooling. Nobody seems to think hooking into the intake is going to add performance. I have left mine closed.

I'll take this time to say one thing; stay away from boa-fx later reborn as productionpronto (on ebay) out of Royse City Texas. Although I bought a decent hood 2 years ago, their product and service gave me nightmares on the next buy. I got a terrible SS spoiler from them which they agreed to replace through cross shipping. I had to send them pictures before they would agree. Short story, they had my money for 3 months and the returned spoiler for 2 before they finally shipped. I sent two dozen emails of which I have saved and that many phone calls, almost always ignored. They gave me the worst time of my life. After everything I could beg or threaten them with, I even tried to get the police involved - I ended up getting another bad looking part. I apologize for entering a negative but just by chance you stumble upon them you'll have this to consider.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

check out cervini
Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 PM

I take exception to the quote:

"I'll take this time to say one thing; stay away from boa-fx later reborn as productionpronto (on ebay) out of Royse City Texas."

Production Pronto is not related to Boa-fx and was not reborn from Boa-fx. Production Pronto is a family owned company making good quality fiberglass products for the automotive industry.

Long story short:
I bought some molds from Boa-fx.
I chose to move my plant out to IH 30 W due to the convenience.
Our feedback rating on ebay is 98.3 and we treat our customers and their concerns in a straight-forward, honest fashion.
I make sure we use 3 oz matting and marine grade resin on all our hoods.

We make quality products, we stand behind our workmanship, and address any customer questions or issues promptly.

You are welcome to come visit us either in person or online and determine for yourself the facts of the matter. Either myself (Becky) or my husband (Richard) would be happy to discuss our manufacturing process with you.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i bought mine from a member on here a while ago..it was already painted red so all i had to do was bolt it on but one day i need to fix the fitment a lil, its oem by the way to and as a matter of fact there was a guy selling an oem one on here recently.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by bekasu

"I'll take this time to say one thing; stay away from boa-fx later reborn as productionpronto (on ebay) out of Royse City Texas."

Production Pronto is not related to Boa-fx and was not reborn from Boa-fx. Production Pronto is a family owned company making good quality fiberglass products for the automotive industry.

Long story short:
I bought some molds from Boa-fx.
I chose to move my plant out to IH 30 W due to the convenience.
Our feedback rating on ebay is 98.3 and we treat our customers and their concerns in a straight-forward, honest fashion.
I make sure we use 3 oz matting and marine grade resin on all our hoods.

We make quality products, we stand behind our workmanship, and address any customer questions or issues promptly.

You are welcome to come visit us either in person or online and determine for yourself the facts of the matter. Either myself (Becky) or my husband (Richard) would be happy to discuss our manufacturing process with you.
Go back to ebay....
Old 09-18-2007, 02:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bekasu
PM sent to you Becky....

Moderator, I apologize for this private dispute. This is my last post to this thread.