Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Rattle can pewter

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rattle can pewter

Alright so i've used duplicolors pewter before on my air box and it matches my car almost perfect so i went and got some more for my front bird plate. i sprayed it the same way after i primered it. Then i cleared it. Thing is the lid i only sprayed 1 or two coats of clear on it and it was never finished. The bird i put 8+ coats on because i wanted there to be some protection. Now the bird does not match the car at all It is almost a gold color. i used the duplicolor clear. Now my question is is there anyway to lighten the color of the paint? or am i going to have to have it repainted? also anyone know how much it would cost to have it painted the same color and my car?(pewter metalic) i also want the bird masked off like i did originaly so i can have light behind it.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the problem with rattle cans is that the color varies just a little bit from can to can. You could also have made it worse with the high amount of clear. You could try buying another can of paint and try not to clear so much...
Old 08-25-2007, 01:47 AM
Launching!

Pewter is a hard color to match. Especially with the metallic fleck. The painted lid probably looks good because its not against the rest of the body panels.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

This is true bit i had in next to the fender to match it and its damn close. i suppose the clear could have made it darker and thats what my main thought was. I've already got my decal on and everything so i really don't want to repaint it and get the same result. If i sand it down could i get some of the clear off and do you think it could possibly lighten up?
Old 09-01-2007, 12:41 AM
12 Second Club

I did the same thing. Had it matching. Then i figured i would add a few more coats of clear and it made it darker looking. I didn't want to hassle with redoing it so i left it be.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

yea for now i think i'm just gana let it be i'll put in on some time soon and wait till i can have it painted.