Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Factory Tolerance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Factory Tolerance?

Shop owners!

On your GM F cars what are you saying is too far out from factory tolerance in mm?? Is 7 mm too far out? 13 mm?

Just asking.

I got hit about a month ago and my car looked ok before. Now, my drivers rear was found to be pushed about 5mm down and 3mm forward. They checked from the circular holes on the frame rails.

I saw my car on the ground and one side looks 1/2 inch higher than the other. Wasn't like that before. Shop said they pulled the car as much as they could and not distort the body lines.

My car got hit at a very funny angle and I am worried no one wants to fix it right due to cost and not caring. I was hit at about 15-20 MPH with only partial contact at an angle so I think it made it worse than people are willing to admit.

One further thing! I found two popped spot welds which have never been like that before and I am picky as hell about my car. Do you guys think this is possible or previous damage like everyone else says! My car leaks like crazy now and didn't before.

They said it was previous damage because the spot welds were rusty. I said it wasn't because it wasn't like that before and the rust was easily removeable by wiping off with my finger. The car has been rained on a bunch since then.

Sigh.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to have your car measured by a body shop that has a computerized measuring system such as chief velocity or car o liner vision. Spec on any unibody car is +/- 3mm. I usually try and pull everything back to 2 mm tolerance when I repair frame damage.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Take it to someone who knows what they are doing. You dont really have to have computerized measuring if you have a frame guy who knows what they are doing, but it wouldnt hurt either. As stated earlier (+ or -) 3mm is correct tolerance. It can be fixed if you find someone who cares about doing a job right and not half assing it just to get it out the door to get the insurance check.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Well right now im just trying to fight the world cause the car doesn't look the same but the body shop guy and insurance don't seem to care or want to spend money on it.

I told the insurance that I had the right to have my car restored to the condition it was in prior but just having hell getting anyone to listen.

They won't replace the quarter panel. It is flat around the wheel opening. They said it was too expensive to do that. Just doesn't look the same to me though. I don't get why the car is 1/2 inch higher on the damaged side.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:57 AM
Teching In

You need to take the car to another shop and get an estimate to repair the car correctly. DO NOT USE ONE THE INSURANCE COMPANY SUGGESTS. Give the estimate to the ins. co. and tell them if they don't fix it right you will sue them for the money for the proper repairs. And check into a diminished value claim if your state allows it. Your car is probably sitting higher on one side due to structural damage.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Right. Well they are already fixing it so I don't know if I can take it to another shop until I pay them or not pay them.

In current condition, I don't want the car. But the insurance doesn't want to pay out any more because they said it was hit in the front 6 [model years] years ago. It was properly repaired. I will have to find out if I can change shops.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Don't back down from the ins. co. Don't forget about diminished value. Your car has been wrecked and is now worth less money. It doesn't matter if it was hit in the front 6 years ago, the car needs to be repaired properly so you and your passengers are safe. Sounds to me like the shop your car is at is hack shop hooked up with the ins co. I would tell them I am moving the car to a shop of your choice as you feel this one is not repairing the car correctly.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:27 AM

Default tolerance

maximum tolerance of any vehicle that has been wrecked by insurance standards is up to 8mm sorry thats cross measured not for panel gaps

Last edited by Bmassie; 11-22-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

well that is basically where i am stuck at.

car is level in front. 1/2 higher on side that got hit, measuring top of wheel well.
1/2 inch sider lower on other side, measure top of wheel well.
still has a little bulge on the facing of the wheel well were the deformation was.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bmassie
maximum tolerance of any vehicle that has been wrecked by insurance standards is up to 8mm sorry thats cross measured not for panel gaps
That is wrong, a wrecked car needs to be repaired to +/- 3mm of factory specs. Any ins co or collision center that does not repair a frame correctly is leaving themselves open to a possible lawsuit. It the frame cannot be pulled into spec, the frame rail should be replaced. If a suspension point is off 8mm you are going to have alignment and tire wear problems, and possibly even a bump steer problem if it is 8mm of height.

Quick Reply: Factory Tolerance?