Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

LS1 TA Front bumper removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 01:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Default LS1 TA Front bumper removal

Ok, I searched and found some threads but Im still confused. Im trying to take off a 98 TA front bumper. I got all the bolts on the bottom (where the black plastic meets the bumper) I know about the 3 bolts on each side of the bumper where it meets the fender. And of course I got all the clips (3 on top, and I think 5 on the bottom) I guess my main question is do you NEED to take the headlights out? If so, how the hell do they come out? This has been driving me crazy, and Im going back friday to work on the car I would really like to get that out of the way. Pics would be a GREAT help but any thing is apprciated.

Thanks,
Sean

P.S. This is why I dont do body work
Old 11-27-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No you dont need to take the headlights out i would probably open them just to you can slip out the bumper better. I just installed mine the other day. have you took those two screws out right next to the lights? they are two philips screws. If you open your headlights you will see them on the fender side of each light.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

no, but like posted you have to open the headlights up though because otherwise the bumper will catch.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:20 PM
9 Second Club

Hey thanks for the replies guys. Im just trying to clearify, open the head lights and take out two phillips screws on the fender side? Or are you talking about the screws that hold the black plastic trim piece in? Lastly how do you get to the bolt thats next to the headlight that attaches the bumper to the fender? From the bottom, I never tried it because we had more important things to do at the time but I wasnt sure if you could get at it that way. Thanks again for the help.

Sean
Old 11-28-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

The phillips screws i am talking about are not on the lights they are right next to the lights on the low beam side of each headlight they hold the front clip to the fenders, you can take those off with the headlights open from the top. All the bolts have to be removed from the bottom. its easier if you remove those air dams.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club

There is 1 screw on each side right? I think I know what youre talking about, its just kinda a pain because I dont have the car infront of me. Lastly, what air dams are you talking about (sorry if this is dumb) do you mean all the black pieces under the car?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 11-28-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Yup for the screws. And all the black pieces except the one that usually drags when you hit a dip and stuff the one right under the radiators. It should be two plastic pices that have fins perferated outwards, they are bolted to the front bumper cover on each side.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 PM
9 Second Club

Ok, sounds good man. Thanks a ton for all youre help. Look for either a good post, or me asking more questions saturday morning

Thanks again,
Sean
Old 12-01-2007, 04:49 PM
9 Second Club

I got it off, thanks again for all the help.

Sean
Old 12-01-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Cool man. It shouldn't be that hard to put back on. Install it with the lights up as well.

Quick Reply: LS1 TA Front bumper removal