Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awesome!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got her back in the garage finally... still fighting a shade variance in the rear bumper, but will wait until the fresh paint has a few days and I can see it in the sun. Brian worked on it all weekend and sprayed the bumper 2 more times. The issue were fighting is that spraying clear over one-stage gives it a candy property that makes it look very very different at different angles in different lights. To panel paint a yellow car spraying a one-stage base for color saturation/consistancy is the way to go. The rest of the car is spot on. Im thinking about getting the Specter GTR rear bumpre Ive always wanted later this year and having it re-done.

Still have some fine tuning of the hood to do etc. Going to use some spacers to bring the fenders up because the hood cant go down anymore.

Shes 99% there... driving it home w/ the clear roof panel was so much fun.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 PM
12 Second Truck Club

so when is ritz doin a photo shoot
Old 08-13-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im sure sometime after I get back from Corvettes @ Carlisle. Itll be Joe (Ritz) or Natchez (prjoektphoto).
Old 08-14-2008, 02:52 AM
12 Second Club

Relay nice! It seams as all yellow corvettes got big issues with diferent shades of yellow on diferent parts of the car, I know yours is newly painted, but it seams like diferent materials reacts to the collor difrent. The rest of your car is fiberglas and plastic and the rear bumber is polyuruthane, am i right? That might do the diference in shade. My friend painted his Iroc, and even when he had the front bumper on while he painted it it got a sligtly diferent shade compared to the body.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice looking car......
Old 08-14-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys... got the rockers, side mirrors, lower doors, and behind each wheel clear brad today... looks great. Working on the interior tonight.

Corvettes are all SMC other than the bumpres which are both urethane.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got a bunch done today...

Got my performance hood seal in... 15 horse at least.

Mark (Stormrider) came over today to help install the ensolite foam. Hes done this before and was a huge huge help, thanks again bud

Cleaned up the engine bay a little and put the fuel rail covers on. I prefer the stock LS1 ones on my car to the oem red ones. Going to eventually get the letters painted yellow or get some carbon fiber ones.

Got the new windshield trim in... remember I shaved the visor holes and had it re-wraped in vinyl, turned out awesome. A pillars done too.

Ensolite foam done

Drivers side carpet in

Passenger side carpet in

All the carpet in

Just have to finish putting the interior trim back in
Old 08-15-2008, 12:16 AM
12 Second Truck Club

brian is the car goin to be at carlisle
Old 08-15-2008, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ Most definately!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:16 AM
12 Second Truck Club

word ill see it there.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

bout f*ing time this thing comes together! glad to see your finally there.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ Yeah... I know... its been a much longer project that it was supposed to be. Should have been back on the road in March.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

looks good, id be so afraid to do this to any car
Old 08-15-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

awesome. u did an amazing job.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tonights Update: My buddy Jay came over to install the new Pioneer Premier HU w/ XM module. Hes a wiring guru and really knows his way around a soldering iron. Thanks a bunch Jay

Stereo all installed with custom Vrumvrum face plate. AFAIK its the first one done with a 2001 Z06 logo. We were able to put the XM box behind the HVAC unit, fit prefectly.

While Jay worked on the stereo I finished up the door panels. I had a few broken clip mounts that I fixed with plastic epoxy, worked well. Also, over time the foam blocks inside the panels come loose, make sure to take a screw driver to the 3 screws and snug them up. On top of that check to make sure the door clips are tight w/o much movement, I noticed some had felt shims in them.

Carbon fiber door sills installed, I love these. Wiped down the sills w/ 3M adhesive/wax remover, peeled the tape and stuck them in place.

Almost there Took a couple pics w/ the overhead lights off, just my bench light on.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:07 AM
12 Second Club

Looks awesome! I just love those carbon door sils have to get those for my camaro.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keith (Lancer033) and Mark (stormrider) came over to fart around and help out tonight... she's almost done.

Put the carbon fiber brake ducts in... to my surprise they fit very well, the passenger side was perfet and the driver's side isn't worth trying to fix as it's so close. Decided to leave the brake cooling ducts out as I have no real need for them.

Mark put some ensolite on the inside of my wheel liners for tire/road noise, then we got the rear CCWs on and got the car back on the ground.

Wheel lips need a good polish and tires need a good cleaning.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks nice, the roof reminds me of a T/A or an Anniversary Camaro.....I'd like to see a photoshop of the top part painted black.....

Then again it might take away from telling it is a Targa Top C5Z06 LMFAO
Old 08-20-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another late night... but she's ready to go to Carlisle! Finally :yesnod: Accomplished all of my goals tonight, will do some shakedown driving tomorrow, get my inspection, then clean up the car.

First up got my center console etc. back in. AC unit looks grey in the flash, but of course it's black. Nice to see it back together again. I really like how the head unit w/ burshed aluminum and face plate accents the C6Z06 shifter **** and gauge bezels.

Next major custom bit of work... customizing the stock headliner and coupe headliner trim to fit the targa Z. GM of course doesn't make anything for this, and Caravaggio makes a custom piece but it's $$$. Gary (GBVette) was kind enough to shoot me a picture of how he did his, so using that as a starting point I started. My end result is a little different, but works great.

Fresh piece... taping out the cut lines.

Cuts made

Test fit it and found that I neeed to ditch the back part

Trimmed the stock headliner and got it in place. I got lucky in that my guestimated measurements all worked perfectly.

It's done... need to get two small push pins tomorrow to use the 2 small holes left on the trim piece to lock the sides in place.

Re-test fitted the targa w/ all the trim in... it works. It's a bit tight in areas, but I think the weather stripping has the break in and I may have to adjust some of the rear latches.

Next... cleaned 8 months of vettebarn and body shop dust off of my seats. Been using Lexol cleaner and conditioner for years w/ great success. Used Adams VRT on the vinyl parts... love that stuff

Letting the product soak in for a few min then will buff to a dull sheen w/ a clean cloth.

G'night!

Quick Reply: Cutting the roof out of a Z06, my targa conversion project