Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Does The Body Shop Lie???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does The Body Shop Lie???

My body shop ordered a aftermarket front bumper cover, w/o the inset CAMARO letters. I want to shave the holes, for the camaro insert, and they told me that the plastic material was not going to hold a filler, because it was made out of a wax mold. I know ive seen some bumpers with them shaved, did anyone run into this kind of trouble? I wonder if its that the body shop doesent want to do the work or if its really true? They did warn me, saying that if they do, do it, and it cracks, comes out, ect. that they are not liable.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

I have run into similar situations with my body shop, they said the exact same thing. A lot of the time they either do not know what they are doing, or maybe don't think its worth the money they will get for it...
Old 12-06-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

they can be filled but the bumper needs to be prepped for raw plastic, then fill the holes with a two part epoxy from 3m such as tpo plastic repair
Old 12-06-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to a different body shop
Old 12-06-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i work for a shop... they probably either dont want to do the job for the money that they would make off it like stated by someone else.... or they dont have the right materials to make it work... the bumpers are made of a rubbery eurathane plastic and if you use regular filler it should surely crack out and leave either name outlines of where the holes were or worse even just crack out over time... this is not a proper fix and the shop knows that... however they make special plastic repair kits that could be used for this although very inefficient for how much the materials cost to the cost of the job... or they could fiberglass it which is fairly time consuming to get right and again they probably dont want to charge you $1000 to do your bumper so they just fed you some ****...
Old 12-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=transmaro93;8256421] or they could fiberglass it which is fairly time consuming to get right QUOTE]

Fiber glass won't stick. Bondo should not be applied to bumpers. You would have to use the correct plastic repair material to make it work.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02gtp4now
they can be filled but the bumper needs to be prepped for raw plastic, then fill the holes with a two part epoxy from 3m such as tpo plastic repair
or you can duramix 4040.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, most body shops dont want to mess with any type of custom work and they will feed you a line to keep from it. Not only does it take more materials it also takes more prep time.

3M Automix makes a few great semi rigid plastic repair glues and fillers that work great. The Duramix 40/40 is a good adhesive but I never had good results with filling/finishing. I like the 3M Automix #5885, its perfect for what your wanting done and if done correctly it will not come back to haunt you down the road. I strongly advise against using fiberglass resin to fill the holes. It has completely different expansion characteristics and will likely sepperate with time with the heating/cooling cycles. Your also mixing a rigid material with a non rigid surface.

The aftermarket Camaro bumpers I have worked with are crap. There made from a much more rigid material than factory and never fit the car worth a damn.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

So is it worth me doing it myself and bringing it back to be painted?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

if you have the knowledge of doing plastic work its worth it because then they wont be charging you to do the body work. they will probablly just charge to prime, setsand, prep for paint and then paint it. i personally like the 3m stuff but the duramix is good aswell.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

They probably just dont want to waranty something like that.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It soulds to me like you found a clueless body shop. You should either fill it yourself with a flexible repair, and tkae it somewhere else to have it painted, or just take it someone with a clue to do the whole job.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you dont know what your doing I would suggest finding someone who does.

You cannot simply just fill the holes with a semi rigid filler and sand it off and expect it to hold up.... theres a little more to it.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

when i had my car before being painted i filled it in with a fiberglass resin... had NO problems at all... i taped it all of cause i was spraying it black for my billet grill and sanded the hold area... filled it.... 6 months later it was still fine... being the im not an expert it didnt come out perfect.... but the **** still held in fine... upon taking it in for paint a mont and a half ago... i had the fill the camaro in the front and fix up some of the holes.... i didnt have correct tools when i did it...sooo it kinda had some small holes that wherent filled... but yeah ne ways.. IVE HAD NO PROBLEMS.... mind u this is on the stock bumper i dont really know how an aftermarket bumper will work... but there should be ways to fill that crap... sounds like there being lazy.... u need someone who knows what there doing... guys i went to gave me no **** i just said hey fill this better fill the camaro in the front and in the back... and bam on my way....
Old 12-08-2007, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Well I went to Home Depot, and picked up some QuikPlastik repair epoxy putty. It is for repairing ridgid and semi-flexiable plastics. It forms bonds with all plastics except polyolefins (polyethylene/polypropylene). Heres the link:

http://www.nucoinc.com/quikplasik.html

Does anyone have any opinions????????
Old 12-08-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Tainted
go to a different body shop
Old 12-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by D&H_Customs
or you can duramix 4040.
i agree, i paint at a very good body shop and i also order all the materials and i would use this if i was goona shave holes on a plastic piece.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Well I picked up the duramix 4040, and I talked to my body shop again. He said the same thing, not that hes clueless, just will not warranty a custom piece like that. They have never shaved holes on this type of material, that is the main reason. Dont blame him really, but now im stuck on if I should even do it now. I reaLLLYYY want to do this, but I know my luck ill do it and two days later the m-fer is cracked through the paint. Anybody think i shouldnt do it???????
Old 12-12-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say do it. It's your car and if that is the look you want you will need to just do it. Even if it cracks later on, you will always have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself. I'm 99% for doing it myself, until I know I'm in over my head. You should be fine. You have the right product, and it's a fairly small amount of work. Just read the directions and don't be afraid to ask questions, that's what we are all here for !!!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

yep.. i would guess its too much work and they couldnt gaurrantee it... couldnt risk the bad rep.

Quick Reply: Does The Body Shop Lie???