Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Do-it-yourself paint!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
When my 97 Z28 gets fixed my father is going to do the paint job. He has experience ibn doing them. I want to know what the BEST QUALITY of auto paint I can gan get for a do-it-yourself project is. Something that will actually last, look good and noone will know it wasnt done professionally. It is going back to Arctic White with Hugger Orange racing stripes (decals), and a Gloss Black engine well. Opinons please?!?!
the body work and prepping that is done to the car is what is going to let someone know whether it was a "do-it-yourself" job or a professional job. The paint is "forgiving" but the body work isn't. luckily you're painting it white, which is a lot harder to tell imperfections in the body work than say a black or another really dark color.
However since it's going to be white, some people make a bigger deal about gaps between panels because then those are the "black" areas and if they are out of whack it could look weird. but 95% of people aren't going to realize it. mainly guys who do painting and stuff like that.

As for the paint, i'm another advocate for PPG. At school we used PPG and Sikkens. I used both to paint different cars, and although Sikkens is known to be a good company, i really didn't like spraying the paint. The PPG just seemed to be easier to work with and flowed a lot easier than the Sikkens.

Just my .02. Good luck with the painting. If you're in there helping, make sure you're at LEAST wearing a half-mask respirator. A full face is much better. (Ask me how i know...)
Old 01-21-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I Have Seen Some Nice Jobs Using Auto Air Colors
But You Cant Really Go Wrong With Ppg Or Hok
Old 01-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hndakilr
I Have Seen Some Nice Jobs Using Auto Air Colors
But You Cant Really Go Wrong With Ppg Or Hok
and one + for auto air stuff is that it's water based however you still have to cover it with a good quality clearcoat such as ppg, dupont, hok, etc... but i've never sprayed with the stuff (well, except for with an airbrush...)
Old 01-21-2008, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

I have used PPG and currently use Martin Senour... PPG seems the way to go though!! good luck and post some pics of the finished product!!

Quick Reply: Do-it-yourself paint!